Yellow Tang in Florida?!?!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks an aweful lot like a bull shark, huh Eric?

baitedstorm:
Looks an aweful lot like a bull shark, huh Eric?

No wonder you see BullSharks every time you dive.

Bull sharks are not yellow.

Bullsharks are not small, black and white, and dart in and out of small holes in WPB.

Bullsharks do not have a big shell and four big flippers.

Bullsharks do not look like a plastic publix bag nor do the words Budwieser appear on their silvery sides.

Silly girl.

I disagree. Yellow tangs can be found for under $20 retail, and a lot of shops won't take them from individuals because they're so common. I think they were released.

zboss:
It's unlikely that the fish were let go... rather it's more likely that a pair mated and the small fry were washing into the ocean during a aquarium water change.

ReefGuy:
I disagree. Yellow tangs can be found for under $20 retail, and a lot of shops won't take them from individuals because they're so common. I think they were released.
I agree, having been into aquariums for along time. Damsels, Yellow Tangs, and Clownfish are the 3 most common fish that you can find in ANY Fish store selling salt water fish. Just because they are common though does't mean they are an awesome species.

My guess is as reefguy's, released by an aquarium owner. Possibly like stated during one of the hurricanes. Aquarium owners get attached to their fish, and sometimes they even name them. If you have an aquarium full of fish that you have had for a few years, all named, all attached and the hurricane blows out your power for a few days due to hurricanes. Everything in that reef tank will most likely die unless you have battery powered backups. Most likely all the coral and reef will definately die. If an aquarium owner is that attached to his fish I could see how he would want to release the fish in the wild and let them live. Of course we all know what a big mistake it is to re-transplant species into a different ecosystem. I could see though why people do it though, they would rather let the fish have a chance in the wild then die in the aquarium that has no power.

Matt

CBulla:
Is it likely that a pacific to atlantic transfer could have occured via bilge the same way we're getting Green Mussels here?

Fish larva aren't nearly as tough as molluscan ones. It's possible, but the aquarium release is more likely, given the huge tropical aquarium trade for Florida.

archman:
Fish larva aren't nearly as tough as molluscan ones. It's possible, but the aquarium release is more likely, given the huge tropical aquarium trade for Florida.

This unrerstricted movement of species is how diseases spread across the world among crustaceans also. Asian species coming to the Atlantic have brought devastating viruses. It's the same effect that the first Europeans had upon arriving in Polynesia. Colds killed the Tahitians.

ReefGuy:

I suppose the florida location might make it cheaper but up here in the NE they, along with other exotics, are expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom