Yellow or orange safety sausage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DPJ:
So we have determined that yellow is most visible, chem lights are practically useless and the significance of the color depends on the location, boat or agency.

I have a 60" orange, because that is what the LDS carried.

I'm with you, I just took what my LDS offered, which was yellow. Didn''t even see a orange one there.

Someone pointed that a sausage without a overpreasure relief valve inflated at depth won't rupture 'cause the air will escape through the fabric. I'm not willing to test this theory with my $45.00 oceanic or the less expensive $29.00 SeeMe sausages. These sausages maintain air without leaking for long periods of time, I store them inflated and they won't leak the air. I think these sausages, are lined with some urethane or sealant in the inside to hold the air inside.

On the other hand, the zeagle seems to be a good option for those who shoot the sausage from depth due to the relief valve incorporated in its design. Currently I don't shoot the maker from depth, but in the eventuality I start doing this procedure, I'll consider the Zeagle or Dive Rite with the relief valve incorporated in the sausage.

In the color controversy, I sugest that you talk to the capt. of the vessel before the dive so he would know what your sausage means when deployed.

The 2 color sausage seems a good option for me since I deploy at the surface and can control what side of the sausage is visible to the boat, those deploying from depth, may have to carry 1 each color if sending diferent messages.

In the past, I only found orange at the LDS but lately the yellow ones are getting to the LDS so now the majority of sales are yellow in contrast to the past when yellow was very rare around here.

In the absence of a standard, the best bet is to talk to the capt. and make him aware of your particular sausage.

I had a boat captain in Jupiter, FL tell me yellow is much better.

I put a strip of 3M SOLAS grade reflective tape on my safety sausage (yellow/orange for those keeping track). You can get this at any boating supply store. Good adhesive, very reflective, mainly of benefit for being spotted at night.

padiscubapro:
Many people are trained (especially deco divers)
Red or orange is a surface marker.. Yellow is get here now I have a problem.. They do not mean the same thing.. WHen I see a yellow It means I have to get there now something serious is going on, I would be quite upset if I had to leave other divers because someone just was signaling "I need help" instead of "here I am".
And what would you do if you saw one that was yellow on one side and orange on the other? As it twisted in the wind, I guess you would say, "Quick! Go get him!...oh, never mind, take your time...Wait! go fast!!... No rush here... Hurry!!.....":D

Mine is a fabric sausage without the over-inflation valve and I don't think rupturing is really an issue. It's not for lifting and it's not for deep stops, so you're only going to use it on the surface or shoot it from 15'. If you shoot it from 15' you'll only have about 25% volume increase, and the less air in it underwater the easier it is to deal with. Even if you only fill it half way and let it go, it'll be 75% filled at the surface, and just a little pressure on the line during your SS will make the thing stand up and wave. I've only done it about 6 times, so YMMV.

Being a bit of a gaget type I bought my wife and I a set of surface sausages for our first boat dive it's an Ikona and it's bright yellow.

I just ordered two DSMBs from a supplier in Britian, and went with orange. Just seemed logical that if we had one color we get the other.

Yellow is more visible, but orange is the standard in SCUBA

It is possible to rupture a sausage without a over pressure relief valve...I did it. Granted, I am sure I put in way to much air...operator failure :14: , but none the less it is possible. I now have one with a pressure relief valve .

Back
Top Bottom