Yellow or orange safety sausage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrDave

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone know whether the flourescent yellow or flourescent orange safety sausage is more visible? Also, is one color more visible in certain situations than the other?

Thanks,
Dave

DrDave:
Anyone know whether the flourescent yellow or flourescent orange safety sausage is more visible? Also, is one color more visible in certain situations than the other?

Thanks,
Dave

Yah, I think they are.

Just kidding, good question. I got the yellow and was wondering the same myself.

after the incident in teh red sea where 12 people were lost for 18 hrs, there was a post where someone took a whole load of different smb's and the yellow was by far the most visible IMO

cancun mark:
...and the yellow was by far the most visible
Wew! Now all I have to do is get lost at sea.

Not sure which is more visable, however a liveaboard out of Keywest will not allow you to use a yellow one. They require you use orange. Just FWIW

Dryglove:
You could always buy one that is yellow on one side and orange on the other.

Indeed. Available from Oceanic.

Dryglove:
You could always buy one that is yellow on one side and orange on the other.

Yeah, I saw the "if you can't decide" 2-color version on the ScubaToys site. Seems like everything was orange for a long time, then yellow came out. I was mainly curious if one color was "better" that the other. The report Cancun Mark mentioned sounds like a real-world test.

-- Dave

DrDave:

Thanks,
Dave

DrDave,

Here is link to everything you ever wanted to know about "Diver Location Aids" and yellow is rated as being the best color.

http://www.jeanelaine.co.uk/diveraids/intro.htm

Rickg

In some places yellow/orange mean different things.

http://www.bitz.fsnet.co.uk/bitzyellowsmbs.htm

Orange for general use as a surface marker / deco marker, yellow for emergency. Always good to check with the boat as to any particular protocols they expect, or inform them of what your SMB means if they see it.

Also a good idea to write your name or initials in big thick letters on the marker so they know who it is.

Back
Top Bottom