Yellow or orange safety sausage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Desa:
Not sure which is more visable, however a liveaboard out of Keywest will not allow you to use a yellow one. They require you use orange. Just FWIW

Why on earth would anyone discourage their divers NOT to use a yellow signalling device??

Surely anything is better than nothing?? You got any details Desa??

Have a question on inflating the sausages: it seems that when I pump the sausage at 5m, it would start rising and pulling me up. Thats fine so i release it but the thing is that i realised that it it not fully inflated at the surface. How do you guys usually inflate it?

heard that there was a safety sausage that you could put a light stick in the end of it so it would be more visible at night ... does anyone know who makes it or where they can be purchase ?

The "See Me" tubes and a few others have the light stick attachment.

Personally the HID light will make any light stick obsolete!

In one of my Industrial and Operational Engineering labs we tested several color combinations for best visibility. Black writing on yellow had the best color contrast. The reverse did well, too.

All the emergecny diamond signs on the sides of the road in the U.S. are also black drawings on yellow backgrounds.

Long story short... I prefer yellow.

Paula

I read somewhere they can see orange further, I got the yellow one though, look more pimp to me..........

scubapro50:
heard that there was a safety sausage that you could put a light stick in the end of it so it would be more visible at night ... does anyone know who makes it or where they can be purchase ?

We do get some of those that have a little sleeve you put a glow stick in... but anytime I think about it... a glow stick can be seen for maybe a few hundred feet?? A flashlight that you'll have if doing a night dive can be seen for about a mile or more.

Just a flashlight underwater shining up just below the surface makes a huge green glow - the size and intensite of about a million glow sticks. Or a personal strobe, any host of items will be far more effective than a glow stick on a sausage.

cancun mark:
Why on earth would anyone discourage their divers NOT to use a yellow signalling device??

Surely anything is better than nothing?? You got any details Desa??

I was making plans for 3 weeks of diving in the Keys last summer and while setting up our trip to go the Dry Tortugas, one of the Live-A-Boards had their general rules posted. Not quoting here, but it read something like:

required equipment:
BCD
Underwater timer
Alternate air source
Safety Sausage (Orange, not Yellow)
ect......

There was no explanation,

I don't remember which operation it was, as we didn't use them for another reason (not the color of their sausage requirment). I do remember that I found them on the Kew West tourism site if anybody doubts what I am saying.

I looked to see if I still had their web site, but my computer crashed since then and I lost all my saved sites. Actually it was worse than a crash, it died and I had to get a new one and start from scratch....

So, Mark, I can't actually answer your question as to why, I can just say it was a "first hand" experience and not "hear-say".........

Question about the two sided one...How wise is that? How would you keep the right side up front? Would you have any influence at all? If a boat came from the other side they would be getting a different signal, right?

justleesa:
Question about the two sided one...How wise is that? How would you keep the right side up front? Would you have any influence at all? If a boat came from the other side they would be getting a different signal, right?

Leesa,

The intent is not to send a specific message, unless you are doing deco while floating with the currrent, but to send A message. That message is simple. I AM HERE. COME AND GET ME! NOW!!! Anything that increases your visibility in that vast ocean is a great improvement!

Rob Davie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom