Yellow or orange safety sausage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2:
will the delux stay inflated if you let the line go slack?

Absolutely. The duck bill design lets you inflate it with a regulator inserted, and then it can't deflate back through it. From even 20 ft you get a good amount of expansion, assuring a full float at the surface.

Zeagle tested it and found it floated 22 pounds in fresh water. I didn't have enough weight with me to test the buoyancy in salt water yet, but found it works very well as a deco float.

If you choose to hold it upright underwater you could also insert the head of a dive light to illuminate it. Once you pull it out it will reclose. That little sleeve at the top is for a cyalume stick.

Chad

According to the geeky science professor's who study color (i.e. Duke University, M.I.T., and the U.S. military) Yellow is the #1 offender to the human eye.

And I quote "Yellow, pure bright lemon yellow is the most fatiguing color. Why? The answer comes from the physics of light and optics. More light is reflected by bright colors, resulting in excessive stimulation of the eyes. Since yellow is the most visible color of all the colors, it is the first color that the human eye notices."

According to the geeks - That's why school buses are yellow and he goes on to state in the article, Have you noticed yellow fire engines in some cities? Yup. :D

Chad Carney:
Absolutely. The duck bill design lets you inflate it with a regulator inserted, and then it can't deflate back through it. From even 20 ft you get a good amount of expansion, assuring a full float at the surface.

Zeagle tested it and found it floated 22 pounds in fresh water. I didn't have enough weight with me to test the buoyancy in salt water yet, but found it works very well as a deco float.

If you choose to hold it upright underwater you could also insert the head of a dive light to illuminate it. Once you pull it out it will reclose. That little sleeve at the top is for a cyalume stick.

Chad

The one I have (SMB) deflates on the surface if sent up from depth, looks like this is the way to go.

Chad Carney:
Here's the new ones from Zeagle Systems. They are orange and yellow.
http://zeagle.chainreactionweb.com/...link=Accy_signal_devices&category=Accessories

On the "in use link" I popped the deluxe tube from 25 ft, it has a duck bill one way filler and an over pressure valve. It stands very rigid when you hold onto it by hand or when you are hanging below it. (That's my boat behind it.)

Chad

Seems to be similar in concept to the Dive Rite one I use...........

http://diverite.com/products/tools/surfmark.htm

cancun mark:
Why on earth would anyone discourage their divers NOT to use a yellow signalling device??

Surely anything is better than nothing?? You got any details Desa??

Many people are trained (especially deco divers)
Red or orange is a surface marker.. Yellow is get here now I have a problem.. They do not mean the same thing.. WHen I see a yellow It means I have to get there now something serious is going on, I would be quite upset if I had to leave other divers because someone just was signaling "I need help" instead of "here I am".

The only agency that seems to teach opposite of this is NAUI.. I have been told by several at NAUI (and patrick at Oxychew who sells to alot of NAUI dealers)that Yellow is normal Red is emergency... Go figure...

So we have determined that yellow is most visible, chem lights are practically useless and the significance of the color depends on the location, boat or agency.

I have a 60" orange, because that is what the LDS carried.

Back
Top Bottom