Yellow and Red Dive Flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lil_chure:
The international symbol for diving, as far as I know, is the Red flag with white diagonal stripe. My folks just bought a place on a lake here in Wisconsin and in the boat house was a Yellow flag with red stripe. Is this a dive flag?
There are very few places outside of North America that have a "diver down" flag. Some improperly use the "Alfa" flag.

Here is a link to Pub 102, The International Code of Signals.

http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs_j_show_sections.html?dpath=ICOS&ptid=7&rid=1466

I have no idea what yellow with a red stripe means. It is not in the ICOS, so perhaps it is something local like a club. Google searches did not reveal anything to me.

Its out of the code of signal /Means Yake/I am dargging my anchor.

http://www.imo.org

7*

Don Burke:
There are very few places outside of North America that have a "diver down" flag. Some improperly use the "Alfa" flag.

http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pubs_j_show_sections.html?dpath=ICOS&ptid=7&rid=1466

I have no idea what yellow with a red stripe means. It is not in the ICOS, so perhaps it is something local like a club. Google searches did not reveal anything to me.

Eris Lucan7*:
Its out of the code of signal /Means Yake/I am dargging my anchor.

http://www.imo.org

7*
Actually, the signal for "I am dragging anchor" is Yankee, which is a yellow flag with five red stripes.

If lil_chure was referring to a flag with several stripes, I do not see how he/she could have thought it might be a dive flag, so I do not think the flag in question is Yankee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chure
The international symbol for diving, as far as I know, is the Red flag with white diagonal stripe. My folks just bought a place on a lake here in Wisconsin and in the boat house was a Yellow flag with red stripe. Is this a dive flag?

http://pollux.nss.nima.mil/pubs/pub...ptid=7&rid=1466

I have no idea what yellow with a red stripe means. It is not in the ICOS, so perhaps it is something local like a club. Google searches did not reveal anything to me

Dude, you need to read your OWN link. It clearly states 'A' is the diver down flag. Page 22 of the first chapter.

Somethin-Fishey:
Dude, you need to read your OWN link. It clearly states 'A' is the diver down flag. Page 22 of the first chapter.
I have read it and, unlike you, I understand it.

Alfa indicates a vessel has a diver down.

That is as opposed to a flag hanging from a buoy which would indicate a diver is down.

Alfa flying off a buoy means the buoy has been designated buoy alfa by someone. In the ICOS it has no meaning beyond that.

Alfa flying off a pier indicates someone put the flag up. In the ICOS it has no meaning beyond that.

The only widely recognized "diver down" flag is the red with a white diagonal stripe, and that is not widely recognized outside North America.

CHAPTER 1.—SIGNALING INSTRUCTIONS
SINGLE LETTER SIGNALS
May be made by any method of signaling.
See Note 1 for those marked by an asterisk (*)
A I have a diver down; keep well clear at slow speed.
*B I am taking in, or discharging, or carrying dangerous goods.
*C Yes (affirmative or “The significance of the previous group should be read in the affirmative”).
*D Keep clear of me; I am maneuvering with difficulty.
*E I am altering my course to starboard.
F I am disabled; communicate with me.
*G I require a pilot. When made by fishing vessels operating in close proximity on the fishing grounds it means: “I
am hauling nets”.
*H I have a pilot on board.
*I I am altering my course to port.
J I am on fire and have dangerous cargo on board: keep well clear of me, or I am leaking dangerous cargo.
K I wish to communicate with you.
L You should stop your vessel instantly.
M My vessel is stopped and making no way through the water.
N No (negative or “The significance of the previous group should be read in the negative”). This signal may be given
only visually or by sound. For voice or radio transmission the signal should be “NO”.
O Man overboard.
P In harbor.—All persons should report on board as the vessel is about to proceed to sea.
At sea.—It may be used by fishing vessels to mean: “My nets have come fast upon an obstruction”. It may also
be used as a sound to mean: “I require a pilot”.
Q My vessel is “healthy” and I request free pratique.
*S I am operating astern propulsion.
*T Keep clear of me; I am engaged in pair trawling.
U You are running into danger.
V I require assistance.
W I require medical assistance.
X Stop carrying out your intentions and watch for my signals.
Y I am dragging my anchor.
*Z I require a tug. When made by fishing vessels operating in close proximity on the fishing grounds it means: “I am
shooting nets”.
Notes: 1. Signals of letters marked by an asterisk (*) when made by sound may only be made in compliance with the
requirements of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, 1972.
2. Signals “K” and “S” have special meanings as landing signals for small boats with crews or persons in distress.
(International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1974, Chapter V, Regulation 16.)

pennypue:
I was thinking "Kill Me" printed on the flag might make a few people think there 'might' be a person nearby.

I do Highway Construction during the week and we find most drivers ignore our warning signs except when they say this:

SLOW SOBRIETY CHECKPOINT AHEAD

Back
Top Bottom