Yellow and Red Dive Flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lil_chure

Registered
Reaction score
The international symbol for diving, as far as I know, is the Red flag with white diagonal stripe. My folks just bought a place on a lake here in Wisconsin and in the boat house was a Yellow flag with red stripe. Is this a dive flag?

lil_chure:
The international symbol for diving, as far as I know, is the Red flag with white diagonal stripe. My folks just bought a place on a lake here in Wisconsin and in the boat house was a Yellow flag with red stripe. Is this a dive flag?
I've seen some bizarre colored "dive flags" in dive shops in colors that include flourescent greens and yellows, etc., and IMHO its a mistake (or retailers running amuck..."if you make it, they will buy it"...)

A free diver/snorkeler was killed in Florida just last week when a boater ignored the dive flag in use and struck the diver as they surfaced.

Boaters across the US (and elsewhere?) already evidence profound ignorance of the dive flag and what the rules are about dive flags. Boaters already don't know what the flag means.

We don't do ourselves any favors by confusing the issue further, offering dive flags in various shades of flourescent colors, chartreuse, mauve, etc. Boaters might wonder if the rules are different for different colored flags, (like they are for different colored bouys, etc.)

Dive flags should remain red and white, and more efforts should be expended to inform boaters what a red and white dive flag in use means.

Just MHO...

Just thought. How about printing the word "Diver" across these flags?

Diver Dennis:
Just though. How about printing the word "Diver" across these flags?
I was thinking "Kill Me" printed on the flag might make a few people think there 'might' be a person nearby.

actually, isn't the blue & white double pennant one the 'international' one?

STOP: Pay Toll

BabyDuck:
actually, isn't the blue & white double pennant one the 'international' one?

That is code flag Alpha - I have a diver down; keep well clear at slow speed. This is meant to be hung off a boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom