Yellow and Red Dive Flag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyDuck:
actually, isn't the blue & white double pennant one the 'international' one?

No. It's a navigation signal that the vessel has underwater operations (not necessarily divers down) and is restricted in its ability to maneuver. A diver not operating off a vessel would never use the alpha flag.

thanks, walter! i've wondered about that a lot!

I agree with Tamas, in the UK, we only use the Alpha Flag - even on a towed buoy (although most recreational boaters seem to know nothing about flags).

AFAIK the red and white flag is North America Only.

Australia uses the Alpha as well - See page 10 of http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/imarine/rec_boating/pdfs/diver_below.pdf - it even specifically mentions use of the Alpha on personal towed buoys

Dom

I think the guys who came up with the red flag with the white stripe were the decendents of the same guys who decided that we shouldn't use the metric system in the U.S.

BabyDuck:
thanks, walter! i've wondered about that a lot!
Wow, you should get out more :D

The Al-Fa flag is the INTERNATIONAL symbol for diver down. The red/white stripe is a decendant of the SAE system and only used in North America. No one outside the US even knows that flag exists unless they know about US diving.

Wrong!

There is the International Withe to Blue(Alpha) I have a diver down Flag from the

I.M.O. for large Seavessel,not sport and hobycraft relatet no meanin in state

seateretors out of I.M.O. realeatet harbor or not I.M.O. registet ships.The red withe

flag is inspirat by the red withe :you do notr anchor her bouye.that must be to se 1

Meter Qadrat from all side ande some with a red light on it.......Maybe ther are

Supranational or else stateside reglemouse about the red withe flag...

7*

lil_chure:
The international symbol for diving, as far as I know, is the Red flag with white diagonal stripe. My folks just bought a place on a lake here in Wisconsin and in the boat house was a Yellow flag with red stripe. Is this a dive flag?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom