Yearning for Cozumel weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9 degrees F. Break out the shorts and Tshirts.
There is always one of those somewhere. I've even seen them working at the car wash on days I wore long johns. I guess that most of those workers got laid off this week, hopefully with someone keeping enough heat on to protect the pipes.

All kitchen sink cabinets need to be left open across the state this week.

Not so bad in Cozumel right now. I'm used to the humid weather in Sept, Feb humidity is delightful.
20210214_170646.jpg

I am just north of Fort Worth in sorta northwest Tarrant county. We have about a half inch of snow now. The forcast is for 6”-10” tonight and tomorrow.
Temp had hovered around 14* all day today. It is supposed to be single digits tonight and around 0* tomorrow night. More snow coming Wednesday night. We may get above freezing by Friday but not enough to melt it. If anything it may do like it did back in the ‘70s and melt then refreeze into ice-over and over.
Our houses are not built for this. I have several water lines in the back wall, and my house faces south. I had a small ice plug this morning from someone closing the kitchen undersink cabinet. Trying to avoid big problems this week.

I am just north of Fort Worth in sorta northwest Tarrant county. We have about a half inch of snow now. The forcast is for 6”-10” tonight and tomorrow.
Temp had hovered around 14* all day today. It is supposed to be single digits tonight and around 0* tomorrow night. More snow coming Wednesday night. We may get above freezing by Friday but not enough to melt it. If anything it may do like it did back in the ‘70s and melt then refreeze into ice-over and over.
Our houses are not built for this. I have several water lines in the back wall, and my house faces south. I had a small ice plug this morning from someone closing the kitchen undersink cabinet. Trying to avoid big problems this week.
Make sure all faucets are turned on a slow flow...this will prevent freezing unless it's less than 32 in the home.

Make sure all faucets are turned on a slow flow...this will prevent freezing unless it's less than 32 in the home.

i had the kitchen cold faucet dripping. It is yhe faucet furtherest from the main supply line. I thought yhat would be good enough, but it was the hot water side that had sn ice plug. The bathrooms all had hot water so it was just that line under the sink. I got it open fairly quickly. My washing machine is in the garage-on the north wall. That is the line I worry about. I have a heater out there and will put a 500w halogen worklight by it tonight-and probably leave it all week.

Hot water spickets are first to freeze..why? Gots no idea, that's just what happens...I assume you have frost-free outside?

Hot water spickets are first to freeze..why? Gots no idea, that's just what happens...I assume you have frost-free outside?

In my case, my cold water lines are in the slab but my hot water lines are in the attic. I will be running my hot water in the house all night tonight and tomorrow night.

As to dripping vs insulating outside faucets - insulation only works in the short term; if it stays below freezing for more than a day or two, insulating isn't going to work, and if it gets really cold the freezing can catch up to a slow drip. It's predicted to get down to about 10 degrees F tonight (Sunday) and tomorrow night and to stay below freezing until Friday except for a few hours at 34 Tuesday and Wednesday, so I have about a 1/8" steady stream flowing from both my outside faucets.

I had my outside faucets replaced last September. I have them covered with foam faucet covers.

I had my outside faucets replaced last September. I have them covered with foam faucet covers.
With a low there of 5° tonight, and this forecast for the week, you may be in for excitement this weekend when they thaw. I hope that your locals deal with the 3" snow well. It's already 0° here in the Central High Plains and dropping but at least my Friday looks warmer than yours.

upload_2021-2-15_0-17-38.png

Back
Top Bottom