Yearly VIS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a scuba industry standard. The DOT only requires a Visual Inspection at requalification (with the hydro test).

It still makes some sense given that scuba tanks are used around water, but it made a great deal of sense 30-40 years ago when compressors were not generally as well maintained as they are today, creating much more potential for excess moisture in the air that would accelelrate rust and corroison in scuba tanks. Realistically, an annual VIP is probably over kill in most places given current industry air/compressor standards and fill practices.

6351 T-6 aluminum alloy tanks from 2000 until recently had a manufacturer imposed requirement for an Visual plus / eddy current inspection for sustained load cracks every 18 months, which practically speaking meant every 12 months in the scuba industry. The DOT, after 7 years of research and data collection, recently adopted a requirement that the Visual plus / eddy current inspection be done at requalification (what people commonly call the hydro test even though the hydro test is only part of the requalification process). However, I see no end to annual visual plus / eddy current inspections by dive shops as it has again become an industry standard in addition to a revenue source.

Rules often have a habit of being created for valid reasons but then persist long after the original reasons are no longer valid.

Is it mandatory for tanks to get a VIS every year? What governs that requirement?

Thanks,

Jeff

Search is your friend. Its worth doing because unless you have intimate knowledge of the compressor/filter/fill systems you have used over the year, you could have gunk in your tank.

Thanks, interesting to know. I'll get mine done of course, figured even if I am not using it, it is sitting there hold air under pressure all year long.

Jeff

But do note that there is no reason to empty a full tank to get it inspected. You don't need a valid sticker to use it, just to get it filled again. So there is nothing to stop you from using up the air in the tank, regardless of when the visual expired, and get it inspected afterwards.

The same applies to hydros, BTW. If a tank was filled before the hydro expired, it is prefectly legal to go on using it until the contents are used up even after the hydro has expired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom