Yay! Ethanol-free Fuel Will be Sold at Oahu Marinas!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Just heard this on the news! Fantastic.

Boater's are a vocal group...

(you can already get it on Molakai, Lanai)

Today's news said Oahu and Big Island will be getting the pure fuel. (now, or soon, not sure)

And this is good? Not sure I understand why. I'd prefer to see petroleum free fuel being sold. Can't you get your new boat to run on wind or solar? Just teasing ya, Catherine.

lol...yea me too, just not this week.

That is good news for gasoline powered boat owners. Ethanol is dangerous to boat owners and does little to help the environment. My new boat, when I can afford it, will be diesel.

Dave

I'm curious... why is ethanol so bad?

I mean, if the captain is drinking it, I can understand how the USCG might have a problem with it, but... :)

We had the Director of Boating from DLNR come to Sea Lancers last week. The question was brought up about the ethanol... apparently during the earthquake response all the state's generators had problems running because of the ethanol. He was pretty sympathetic about the ethanol problem and he said some changes were in progress.

While this is an ad for a fuel additive, I think it does a good job describing the harmful effects of ethanol.

It makes your mileage lower...so doesn't accomlish the objective (they say)

makes your engines foul on the north shore of Molakai.

eats through your hoses, fouls the plugs, eats your fuelk tank if its an older one.

Hydrophilic...attracts water into your tanks through the ventilation.

It's one of those ideas that was pushed through without being thought out well. It flat out does not reduce fuel comsumption and screws up most engines.

Of course now you are stuck buying Marina gas at a 50% premium

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom