Yap vs Palau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kerri Blair

Reaction score
I am able to go to Yap or Palau in the last week of March and need help deciding which one. Any suggestions on which place, also recommendations for dive operators and accommodation would be much appreciated. I prefer something low key and will be travelling on my own. Thanks!

I ll be in PAlau from 25 march to 1 april. If you cannot affodr aliveaboard ( Big blue explorer is the cheaper - 2115 $ ) You have 2 options: Sam'tour staying in koror; Mamldivers if you stay in Peleliu.

If you are not an experienced divers go yap ( Mantas )
In palau some dives are demanding; with a lot of current but you can expect a lot of mostly everything exept Shark whales or white sharks - even some mantas

In palu, low key 3 dives a day means 180/ 200$ with your own equipment.
Keep me posted

We did Palau and Truk last April, doing Truk and Yap next month. Palau is great but beware of strong currents on Blue Corner and the other walls close by. Our operator only wanted to do 3-4 dive sites so we back to the same sites everyday for five days. Check with operator and make sure they will give you what you want, so many operators seem to forget who is paying the tab anymore.

It will depend on what you want to see, we did Yap & Palau Oct-Nov.
Yap I found the currents a lot stronger in the channels (Manta watching) than I did anywhere else in Palau other than Blue corner. Out of six dives to see Mantas we saw them twice. Sharks yes if you do a shark feed, a few large fish and small amounts of coral. If you like macro there is one site called macro 1-2, nudis everywhere and they are big. Mandarin fish you would be assured of seeing them. Dive op Werner Lau. excellent service four to a boat. The only down side, management is German and all guests other than my wife and I were German. We never got asked where we wanted to go, but there was a lot of talking in German. 4 star

Palau. the down side to Palau is the long runs out to the dive sites about 45 min, but even then its not that bad the route is very scenic going through the rock Islands.
Blue corner with all the hype on the board I was expecting it to be a lot worse than it is. Marine life great coral great. The dive op we used Neco Marine all I can say is 5 star all the way.

I have been to both. Check out my Yap trip report in January 06.
Like you I traveled alone, Palau has better overall diving but Yap is a better dive experience (diving, people, smallness of island, expenses).

I would recoomend going to Yap. Stay at the Pathways Hotel (treehouses) and dive with Beyond the Reef (www.diveyap.com).
I can't say enough about Dave and his staff at BTR. Excellent people!!! I am going back in July. Get your dive/hotel packages from the Beyond the Reef website.

I can also help you out with Palau but it will be more $$.
You can PM me if you need additional info

Kerri Blair:
I am able to go to Yap or Palau in the last week of March and need help deciding which one. Any suggestions on which place, also recommendations for dive operators and accommodation would be much appreciated. I prefer something low key and will be travelling on my own. Thanks!

Yap choices....only 3 dive shops

Manta Ray Bay Hotel i work there, check the manta ray link in my sig.
Beyond the Reef, check link from last poster
Rize Diving Centre, catering mostly to Japanese but cool bungalows on the beach in the north side of the island, i have no idea of the website, you might like to google it.

the Werner Lau/Traders Ridge option that Cdiver2 mentions is closed as of April 1/06. The hotel Traders Ridge will continue to run but the dive shop is closed on that date.

Thanks everyone for your help! I think Palau is winning at the moment and am considering staying at Carp Island Resort or going on Ocean Hunter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom