Has anyone been to Yap since they re-opened in the fall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cozcharlie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am planning on heading to Yap in January. It looks like United is flying every other week from Guam (leaves shortly before midnight Tuesday and arrives Yap very early Wednesday). This pretty well means a two week minimum stay, though I think a saw some sort of puddle jumper service maybe operating weekly from Palau.

Just curious if anyone has either been there or heard much from Yap. It has been a long pandemic for them. Figured it would be neat to go there after very few tourists for almost 3 years (and not many before then during normal times ).

I am trying to do the same thing. All I can find about the puddle jumper is that it's called Caroline Islands Air and they, at least, used to do weekly hops between Palau and Yap. I can't find the website but they do have a Facebook page with their phone number so I'm going to give them a call next week and see what they have available.

I am trying to do the same thing. All I can find about the puddle jumper is that it's called Caroline Islands Air and they, at least, used to do weekly hops between Palau and Yap. I can't find the website but they do have a Facebook page with their phone number so I'm going to give them a call next week and see what they have available.

Maybe post what you learn here. I am booked for two weeks using United from Guam (as long they don’t reduce their schedule even further ). Just kind of feel bad for Yap given not too many people can spend two full weeks there for vacation (especially starting with a mid-week flight from Guam). Basically means a two and half week vacation minimum from the states. I had thought about the weekly puddle jumper service , but given I am traveling solo thought there was a risk they would cancel last minute if it was just me .

FYI:. Made it to Yap a few days ago for two week trip. Staying at Manta Ray Bay and diving with Yap Divers. Will post full report in a couple of weeks, but am posting brief comments now.

Both Manta Ray Bay Resort and Yap Divers are in great shape given they were closed for 2 1/2 years. Really happy with both. The hotel is spacious, well appointed and clean. Dive op is a valet op with excellent service (hot towels after dives, they take your gear off boat at end of day and set up properly the next morning) Just had a few divers since re-opening because so few flights, but looks like things are gradually starting to pick up. United is still only flying here once every two weeks from Guam, but United is saying they are starting twice a week service in April. One fall back option I didn't know about is using Pacific Mission Aviation. You evidently have to email them to see about flights, but some people here now are using them to go to Palau from here after diving one week here. This allows them to spend a week at each place (as opposed to 2 weeks in Yap if only using United right now) and also keeps them from having to return to Guam when going from Yap to Palau or vice versa. One of the other non-diving hotel guests who lives in FSM swears by them.

Only had a few dives so far, but had Manta rays on first dive (3, but with most photos are of just one that stuck around for 30 minutes or so). Yesterday we did wall dives. Made bad choice of lenses yesterday. Had heard might see some nudibranchs so brought macro lens. Saw a group of about 12 small spotted eagle rays instead. Was going to upload a couple of photos but board algorithm that reduces file size doesn't seem to be working this morning. Will post link to smugmug photos soon enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom