TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - July 30 - Aug. 6 . . . LIVE FROM YAP (last time)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
LIVE (LAST TIME)
FROM MANTA RAY BAY RESORT IN YAP
(please scroll down for details)
We're just wrapping our 3-week Yap adventure . . .

WEATHER HAS NOT BEEN KIND . . . STILL - Here's what I posted yesterday on FaceBook: "DIVING IN YAP - DAY 19 - Yahoo!!!! Gorgeous sunrise. Sunshine ALL DAY!!!! First nice day in literally 16 days. (Rain every day and some wind to boot.) Still some rough seas so we were limited to the NE side of the island but had interesting dives including a semi-exploratory one at Goofnu Mini-Wall where instead of heading into the channel, we headed south. Amazing topography underwater. Saw some bleaching on one reef. Numerous turtles, some sharks, a couple of rays, and others of the 'usual' critters for here. But what a relief from what we've been getting so far. Tomorrow's our final dive day."

BUT WE'RE HAVING A GREAT TIME - Yesterday really showed the remaining five divers (from our overall crew of 11) what Yap can be like. I freely admit to being a bit prejudiced towards liking the place, not only for the diving, but for the overall ambiance and the attitude and attention we get from everyone at Manta Ray Bay Resort. So while it hasn't been the trip I envisioned, despite my complaining about the weather, it hasn't been the trip from hell either. The hellish part is the journey home, which starts around Midnight in Yap and involves a 2:35AM flight to Guam, 6:55AM flight tlo Honolulu, and then a redye into LAX, arriving around 5AM. But all part of what it takes to visit exotic places in the world.

WE'VE BEEN SEEING GREAT STUFF - We've had some really good manta encounters, including watch one feeding above the cleaning station, which is very unusual, sharks, rays, turtles, Mandarinfish, and bunches of other fish that you'd expect to find in the western Pacific. Here's a small smattering of what we've seen in the last week:​
mail
mail
mail
mail
mail
mail
mail
CAMERA UPDATE - I will be forever indebted to Lois (I don't know her last name), a guest at the resort from Cayman where we have some friends in common, who has graciously loaned me a strobe of hers to replace the bad strobe of mine that was apparently shorting out the ability to use strobes when shooting. (I was relying on video lights for much of the trip and then using Lightroom like crazy to bring out color.) But it also underscores one of the challenges of foreign trip travel and that's that you sometimes are faced with problems and you find a way to make things work when you can't just go to the local store for a solution or have FedEx overnight something to you. Whew!!!

So that's where things stand in Yap at the moment. As I'm writing this, it almost 6AM on Monday which is our final dive day here. Three dives today, a half-day land tour and packing tomorrow, and then we begin the long slog home. We'll see you soon.

- Ken​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom