Yacht sunk off Italy, how deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I saw this bbc article about a yacht sunk off cost of Italy.
Would anyone know how deep it would be? Wondering if it will be a dive location, or if it might be salvaged instead. No loss of life fortunately.

Looking at Google Earth, the seafloor drops off pretty sharply from Catanzaro. If it's 15km offshore, the depth could be 2,000-3,000'. It's unlikely to be diveable or salvagable. Too bad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 7.35.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-08 at 7.35.13 PM.png
    658.7 KB · Views: 56
Old story, I believe this happened in back in August. Name of the vessel I believe is MY Saga, and had a full Italian crew.

Depth is 500m

It was end of August, about 2.5 months ago, and should have more news if there was going to be any, so I think @Still Kicking is correct and no salvage or diving possible. @Eric Sedletzky raised a good question, “was it an oligarch yacht?”

“was it an oligarch yacht?”
I don't think so as it was heading back to Italy when it took on water and sank. If it was owned by someone under sanctions they would have been going to a non-EU port

According to the Italian portal La Gazzetta Del Mezzogiorno, its owner is Gennady Ayvazyan, a Russian businessman, co-owner of Kuzbassrazrezugol Holding and chairman of the Krutrade company board of directors. According to the Daily Mail, on the night of August 21 the yacht sank near the town of Milazzo.

According to the Italian portal La Gazzetta Del Mezzogiorno, its owner is Gennady Ayvazyan, a Russian businessman, co-owner of Kuzbassrazrezugol Holding and chairman of the Krutrade company board of directors. According to the Daily Mail, on the night of August 21 the yacht sank near the town of Milazzo.
I wish before they decide to scuttle their own ships that they could at least do it within recreational diving depths please.

I wish before they decide to scuttle their own ships that they could at least do it within recreational diving depths please.
No kidding. And drain the fuel and oil out first.

Back
Top Bottom