Ya hate to see it, but it happens....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darol
I believe you and others did/do.:no: Take it or leave it. I am entitled to the air space just as you are, and I am comfortable being wrong in your eyes.

That being said, I do appreciate your posting the pics in the first place, regardless of our differing interpretations. There is an amazing amount of magical thinking around reckless driving-whatever the cause-on Cozumel, and I know from several friends that live there, there are many more accidents of this severity than we ever hear about, mostly related to alcohol.

Christi, your facts are correct. That is exactly what I saw, and heard. The guy standing was eventually laying on the ground. jfcl01 I respect everyones right to post and opinions. To be brutally honest, it was very disturbing to see.

Darol
I believe you and others did/do.:no: Take it or leave it. I am entitled to the air space just as you are, and I am comfortable being wrong in your eyes.
What in the world are you talking about?

There was a much worse occurrence than this a few months ago. Someone traveling at a high rate of speed on the cross island road took out the statue of Captain Morgan that used to be between Mescalito's and Senor Iguana's and ended up out in the Caribbean. There were fatalities and alcohol was involved, according to the taxi driver who was driving us around the island.

Yes, this stuff does happen, and it is tragic. Just to be clear, I make no excuses for it and in no way do I condone driving under the influence. Take a cab; it's a lot more fun than being the driver.

As far as injuries, I would imagine the guy that was thrown from the back of the jeep has severe head injuries but I have no confirmation of that, and honestly, not sure if he survived the accident. I don't know if there were any other injuries, but all parties were taken by ambulance to the hospital.

Very, very tragic. I hope there were no fatalities or permanent injuries. It was a nasty scene!

I hope not as well but when I think of the innocent people that could have been killed, locals as well as other tourists, I also hope their vacation gets extended awhile, perhaps "free" lodging for a year?

ReefHound...exactly. I don't wish a head injury on anyone, and I hope these people ESPECIALLY THE MINOR children involved do alright...but I also hope that, assuming the adults involved survive intact, there is jail time ahead. That may sound harsh and less than compassionate to say about a gravely injured person whose life has just changed forever... However, I for one am completely sick and tired of seeingsmall but substantial numbers of tourists, resident ex-pats, and Mexicans-yes, I really just said that out loud-treat Cozumel like it's their own personal toilet for their sociopathic behavior that would NEVER be tolerated in their home communities, be they Seattle, Amsterdam, or Mexico City. It's a shame how widely accepted this behavior is by the locals, the other tourists, the business owners, and the police...if there hadnt actually been an accident, no one would have said a thing to these folks, nor the others that behave like this everyday in Coz. They would have been allowed to just keep on truckin'. My wish for Coz is that people indulge in that behavior in their own home communities where there might be more immediate and perhaps less dire consequences..and bring their best behavior to the island.

I would also invite all of you to consider speaking up the next time you see an intoxicated person get behind the wheel on Cozumel...even (or should I say especially)if it is one of the dive/tourist related business owners/operators/employees.

ReefHound...exactly. I don't wish a head injury on anyone, and I hope these people ESPECIALLY THE MINOR children involved do alright...but I also hope that, assuming the adults involved survive intact, there is jail time ahead. That may sound harsh and less than compassionate to say about a gravely injured person whose life has just changed forever... However, I for one am completely sick and tired of seeingsmall but substantial numbers of tourists, resident ex-pats, and Mexicans-yes, I really just said that out loud-treat Cozumel like it's their own personal toilet for their sociopathic behavior that would NEVER be tolerated in their home communities, be they Seattle, Amsterdam, or Mexico City. It's a shame how widely accepted this behavior is by the locals, the other tourists, the business owners, and the police...if there hadnt actually been an accident, no one would have said a thing to these folks, nor the others that behave like this everyday in Coz. They would have been allowed to just keep on truckin'. My wish for Coz is that people indulge in that behavior in their own home communities where there might be more immediate and perhaps less dire consequences..and bring their best behavior to the island.
People do stupid stuff everywhere, not just on Cozumel. I really don't see why you are venting at us; we didn't do it, nor do we condone it. BTW, I have taken personal action, as a matter of fact. Once a woman who was very drunk got in a minor accident right in front of my house when I just happened to be outside. Her engine died in the collision, and as she was trying to restart it to drive off, I reached in through the car window and snatched her keys while my friend called the cops. And on two occasions I have surreptitiously pocketed friends' car keys at parties when they were in no shape to drive home.

But I don't understand your railing on drunken "dive/tourist related business owners/operators/employees". Is that really a problem on Cozumel? I know lots of those people, and to my knowledge none of them has ever done anything remotely like the incident whose description started this thread. Virtually all the people I see misbehaving on Cozumel are, not to put too fine a point on it, us. If you really want to see some stupid stuff, try going to Cancun during Spring Break.

I haven't heard any updates, but in accidents where there are injuries, especially fatalities - the driver does spend time in jail. I've known people locals and tourists who have been in accidents and had to spend time in jail as well as make restitution of course. If the driver is not in the hospital, he probably is in jail - but again, I haven't heard or read any updates. I'll grab a paper tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom