Ya hate to see it, but it happens....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darol

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
It's Sunday and people party..... Working hard all night to fix it.

Attachments

• DSCF0441.jpg
    DSCF0441.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 608
  • DSCF0442.jpg
    DSCF0442.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 565
  • DSCF0445.jpg
    DSCF0445.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 511
  • DSCF0446.jpg
    DSCF0446.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 512
Tourista or local? How about injuries? Alcohol involved?
It would suck to be in this situation but like you said, these things happen.

I was there about 6:30pm. At that time, only locals and cops were hanging around -- no ambulance. I supposed that the accident happened well before I arrived.

Oops!

It looks like a rental. Red Chevy/Geo Tracker...rental car M.O.

They were probably blasted and just took off.

the empty cooler in the back seat is a nice touch though :D

In the first pic, looks like there is somebody laid out on the ground behind the vehicle. Doesn't look like that one took off. And in the second one, person in pax seat with airbag deployed.

Mike

ummm...actually, it really doesn't just "happen"...why normalize/minimize something like this? Just curious about that particular point of view...

Thats amazing the rebar was bent like it was......definately a person laid out on the ground. Hope they were OK/hope it had airbags!!

jfcl01

ummm...actually, it really doesn't just "happen"...why normalize/minimize something like this? Just curious about that particular point of view...

I never said it "just happens", I said it happens.
When did I ever minimize or normalize anything? :no: I didn't. Had I or someone else been walking on that side of the
street?

They were/are tourists and were in a rental jeep, I assume from Less Pay because I saw the owner of Less Pay on the scene when I went to dinner at Prima shortly after the accident.

I was actually on the phone with my divers staying at El Cantil minutes after it happened - they were eye witnesses to the accident. I also went to dinner at Prima shortly after, and the jeep was still "attached" to the power pole. The hostess at the elevator for Prima told me the same story my divers did. So this is third hand, but I got the same story from two different eye witnesses.

Apparently, there was a guy on the back of the jeep hopping and hollering and jumping around - he drew a lot of attention to himself as they drove by El Cantil and was most likely intoxicated. Immediately thereafter, the driver lost control somehow and hit a moped and then went into the light pole. The hostess at El Cantil told me that there were also children in the car. There were two coolers in the back of the jeep full of beer and alcohol.

As far as injuries, I would imagine the guy that was thrown from the back of the jeep has severe head injuries but I have no confirmation of that, and honestly, not sure if he survived the accident. I don't know if there were any other injuries, but all parties were taken by ambulance to the hospital.

Very, very tragic. I hope there were no fatalities or permanent injuries. It was a nasty scene!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom