Xtar D06 - any issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kenns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I purchased this little light in February as a back up light. I've used it for such, so it's actually been turned on rarely, but comes with me on every dive, usually tucked in my leg pocket. It's a magnetic slider switch and will produce up to 350 lumen. The size is perfect! I'm having trouble with what appears to be a poor connection - flickering. I've cleaned the contact points and it's still flickering. Anyone have this problem with this light? I'm going to take it back to the shop where I purchased it from, but I'd like to hear from others about this light.

I have the XTAR D01 and really like it. Looking at the website it looks like the D01 and D06 have the same mechanism. It's a twisty on/off and and a slider light control. I've had occasional flickering if the twisty is on and the slider is off and it's not a big deal. If that's the case just slide till the light is on low and the flickering should go away. Or just twist to turn the light off altogether.

I use my D01 in an Oxycheq light sock on the left hand. I turn the twisty on but leave the slider off. Turning the slider on is a one hand operation, so I can turn the slide on and off under water with the right hand. Because of the continuous light adjustment it's perfect for lighting up the computer on the right forearm, as most lights are are overpowering for viewing instruments.

Yes, there are a couple of issues with XTAR's line of diving lights.

First, their diving lights are NOT designed to twist on-off while underwater. Because of the design the torch body is electrically active. If you have a small ding or graze on the aluminum coating on the head and hande (very easy to do) currently flows between them. This causes the holder to get an electric shock, extremely rapid corrosion formation and flickering of the LED when the torch is otherwise switched off. Please view XTAR D06 activates in sea water, shocks holder when switched off! - YouTube to see what I mean.

Second, the factory o-rings ship with a petrolium lubricant. Smell your o-rings - If they smell like oil replace them. They last a few months and then split. Only use a quality silicon grease based lube. If you contact XTAR they will send you spare orings free of charge.

Third, my torch stopped working completely. The solution was to tighten the inner pill as the pressure from the lens had caused the inner mechanism to no longer make good contact with the battery. Luckily you can open the torch with a watch opening tool and tighten with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Overall XTAR is a good company that is responsive and means well. I hope the quality of their diving products will continue to improve.

Back
Top Bottom