Question Persistent Issues with Xtar D28-3600 Diving Flashlight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NauticalNerd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Greetings Diving Enthusiasts,

I own a Xtar D28-3600 dive light. Over the course of two years, I've experienced the same discouraging problem with not one, but two units. At the beginning of two separate cave dives, the light abruptly shut off, leaving me in the dark. There was no water in the torch. When I tried to turn the torch on, all it would do was flash the green light around the power indicator. So my best guess is, its related to the electronics of the light.

The frustration was compounded by the fact that this failure occurred in a critical environment, underscoring the importance of reliable equipment. After the first incident, the store replaced the flashlight quickly and easily. But now that it's out of warranty, I'm at a loss.

The Xtar D28-3600 is a really nice and compact light for short cave divey, boasting a powerful 3600 lumens output. Unfortunately, my recurring experience with the power indicator and subsequent power failure has raised serious doubts about its reliability and overall quality.

To my fellow divers, I feel it's imperative to share my experience with the Xtar D28-3600 as a word of caution. While it's important to note that my experience may not be universal, it serves as a reminder to carefully consider the reliability of our equipment, especially in situations where safety is paramount.

Maybe the XTAR Staff can provide some guidance or support in resolving this matter. I value the potential of the Xtar D28-3600 and believe that it has the capability to be a reliable and powerful tool for diving enthusiasts like myself.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or advice you can offer in this situation. Please let me know if there are any steps I can take or if there are known solutions to address this issue.

Greetings!

I own a Xtar D28-3600 dive light. Over the course of two years, I've experienced the same discouraging problem with not one, but two units. At the beginning of two separate cave dives, the light abruptly shut off, leaving me in the dark. There was no water in the torch. When I tried to turn the torch on, all it would do was flash the green light around the power indicator. So my best guess is, its related to the electronics of the light.

The frustration was compounded by the fact that this failure occurred in a critical environment, underscoring the importance of reliable equipment. After the first incident, the store replaced the flashlight quickly and easily. But now that it's out of warranty, I'm at a loss.

The Xtar D28-3600 is a really nice and compact light for short cave divey, boasting a powerful 3600 lumens output. Unfortunately, my recurring experience with the power indicator and subsequent power failure has raised serious doubts about its reliability and overall quality.

To my fellow divers, I feel it's imperative to share my experience with the Xtar D28-3600 as a word of caution. While it's important to note that my experience may not be universal, it serves as a reminder to carefully consider the reliability of our equipment, especially in situations where safety is paramount.

Maybe the XTAR Staff can provide some guidance or support in resolving this matter. I value the potential of the Xtar D28-3600 and believe that it has the capability to be a reliable and powerful tool for diving enthusiasts like myself.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or advice you can offer in this situation. Please let me know if there are any steps I can take or if there are known solutions to address this issue.

Greetings!
I'm assuming you tried changing batteries? Not just charging them?

I'm assuming you tried changing batteries? Not just charging them?
Hey Rob,

we used the original Xtar batteries that came with the light. Afterwards we tried another set of batteries from Xtar and a set of Keeppower (all with pcb protection).

Hey Rob,

we used the original Xtar batteries that came with the light. Afterwards we tried another set of batteries from Xtar and a set of Keeppower (all with pcb protection).
I figured you would have, but always good to cover the basics. I wonder if it's an issue with that particular light. I have at least 6 different Xtar lights that have all worked without a hitch for the most part. I did have an issue with the D36 5800 (version 1) where the proprietary battery died on me. They have since gotten away from that concept. The battery was replaced under warranty.

It took a little bit, but Xtar did take care of the issue... have you tried reaching out to them?

Presume issue with batteries, wich can be easily checked by replacing batteries with high-current cells,
or issue somewhat like as with XTAR D26 1600 - LED driver freeze in cold environment.
Check light by freezing head with led, driver and button in fridge and read this

Presume issue with batteries, wich can be easily checked by replacing batteries with high-current cells,
or issue somewhat like as with XTAR D26 1600 - LED driver freeze in cold environment.
Check light by freezing head with led, driver and button in fridge and read this
We checked the batteries and they are fine. We also tried another set of batteries with the same results.

The problem occurred in warm water (once 13C/ 55F and the other time at 20C/ 68F ). I do not think that should already cause problems. Also on the surface the flashlight can no longer be turned on.

I'm not sure what you expect here? The Xtar is a Chinese copy of more established light designs and sold by a variety of online vendors none of whom know anything about diving or cave diving or life support equipment at all. It's about 25-35% cheaper than comparable models from established vendors. Xtar isnt going to be changing their entire supply chain, testing, and quality assurance protocols (if any) because you had a light fail out of warranty.

My adivice is not to buy cheapo lights for cave diving. IMHO lights for cave diving are safety gear... get a proper primary and backups.

My adivice is not to buy cheapo lights for cave diving. IMHO lights for cave diving are safety gear... get a proper primary and backups.
I believe that you need reliable equipment and not necessarily expensive equipment. I have several inexpensive lamps that have accompanied me for years and have not caused any problems. While some much more expensive models from Finnsub, SeaYa and Scurion have also failed on me. With the Finnsub, the reflector fell off the LED, the buttons on the lamp head of SeaYa no longer responded and the Scurion flooded with water during a dive. Until an equipment part fails, you can't judge the reliability for yourself.

Greetings!
I have one of these as well as other divers that I dove with. Here is what I learned and by accident. Apologies if I have repeated another’s answer. But the key was the power button. If the light is off and the power button is pressed for up to 5 seconds, the light will turn on and then shortly, turn off. Any attempt to turn it on with a quick button press will result in a green light power indicator. This appears to be a safety function to prevent accidental turn-on. To override this, with the light in the off condition, press the button for a few seconds and the light (torch) will turn on. At that point, you can turn the light off and on the light with short button pressing. The main issue that I have with the flashlight is that the power button can be easily - and I mean easily especially if placed in a BC or kit bin - activated and it will then self cycle to a locked condition. Then when pulling it out for use, its locked and the power indicator lights up green but will not turn on. Also, I’ve lost the number of times that I have found the torch on and just burning up the battery juice. I’m trying to come up with an add-on switch protector to make this light more viable. Every time I pull it out for use, it is with much trepidation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom