XS Scuba Xtra Air System, user reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I prefer a slung pony to one on the tank back. Here are what I see as the disadvantages of tank mounted ponies:

1) harder to stow on a boat (especially with certain types of tank racks)

2) seems harder in terms of trim by having this thing sticking out of your back (admittedly, I haven't used one in a while, so maybe I'm wrong about that)

3) Is in a vulnerable position, especially if you are using a yoke valve - that looks like something waiting to be smacked into a reef or part of a wreck, and possibly unseating the first stage.

4) Has the potential for losing your pony regulator - assuming that you won't be bungeeing both it and your secondary reg, it will be clipped off somewhere (that's what the website says). Once that is knocked loose you may have a very difficult time recovering it, especially when things have gone bad...

5) No easy access to the valve in case of a freeflow (I usually kept my pony reg charged but with the valve off for this reason).

6) You can't hand the whole thing off to another out of air diver

The argument against the slung pony is that there is a perception of it being in the way, but I will tell you that it basically disappears in the water, I have had no issues with that. It's also nice to look down and see the whole thing there, ready to deploy, shut down, or pass off as needed. AND, it gets you used to slinging a bottle if/when you start with accelerated deco.

M

Thanks for the info. I think a slung pony is the going to be the way to go for me too. What regs other than the Zeagle Razor would you recommend for a slung pony? In other words, does anybody make pony regs for pony bottles? I dive a Zeagle Ranger LTD , so I have the D rings on there to sling a 30ft. or 40ft. pony bottle.

I use a MK2 R190 on my pony, and I have a lots of higher performing regulators. I like the unbalanced piston for this; it's super simple, its probably more flood-tolerant than a diaphragm 1st stage, and with the unbalanced 2nd I'll get a warning as the tank gets low on air due to the IP drop in the 1st stage. Well tuned, the performance is fine, in fact most divers would barely notice a difference.

Another plus is that you can find them used at a very reasonable price and they're very easy and inexpensive to rebuild. Sherwood makes similar 1st stages.

Thanks for the info. I think a slung pony is the going to be the way to go for me too. What regs other than the Zeagle Razor would you recommend for a slung pony? In other words, does anybody make pony regs for pony bottles? I dive a Zeagle Ranger LTD , so I have the D rings on there to sling a 30ft. or 40ft. pony bottle.

I don't think that there are regs that are specifically designed for a pony bottle, and as has been mentioned, a well serviced used reg is often as good as a new one.

You don't need a lot of extra bells and whistles in terms of extra ports (in fact, the smaller the first stage, the better), but it should obviously be reliable and matched to whatever type of diving you are doing. For example, if you will be diving in very cold water, the pony reg needs to have the same operating specs (environmental sealing, etc..) as your primary and backup regs.

Some people use an SPG on a short hose, I personally used one of those button gauges to make it more streamlined. I know that there are arguments against them, but it seems fine for this purpose, especially if you are doing a non-decompression dive with no physical or virtual overhead, and are making a safe but direct ascent as soon as you deploy the pony.

M

I have a couple of H2Odessy combination reg/valves. My thought was that I could take them on trips with 19cuft bottles and fill them myself from full tanks avoiding the difficulty of getting an empty tank filled (valve removed for air travel). They are also smaller and lighter than a standard valve reg setup. It seems very difficult to find rental pony setups on vacation dive trips and we would always have them available.

Tested them once locally then took them to Bonaire. The one way fill valve on one failed the first time we tried to fill it. The other did fine. I think the idea is good for having a small pony bottle on dive trips without a lot of trouble, but it did not work so well the first time out.

One of the guys working in Capt Don's dive shop tried very hard to fix the bad fill valve, then let us use his personal pony and reg while we were there.

I use a MK2 R190 on my pony, and I have a lots of higher performing regulators. I like the unbalanced piston for this; it's super simple, its probably more flood-tolerant than a diaphragm 1st stage, and with the unbalanced 2nd I'll get a warning as the tank gets low on air due to the IP drop in the 1st stage. Well tuned, the performance is fine, in fact most divers would barely notice a difference.

Another plus is that you can find them used at a very reasonable price and they're very easy and inexpensive to rebuild. Sherwood makes similar 1st stages.

Pardon my ignorance on this, but who makes or made the MK2 R190? What would be good price for one?

MK2 & R190 are ScubaPro. As to pricing, check the infamous auction site.

I've been looking at this one from Piranha Dive Dry Suit / Pony Bottle Valve, Piranha Dive Manufacturing. I'm not sure if I want to pull the trigger yet, my main concern is servicing it. Although you can buy the kit too, I don't know if any tech will do it. I do like the streamlined aspect, though. My other option would be a Mk2 and I have a R295 already.

If you have a 295, it should be easy to spend less than $50 for a used MK2 in good shape. Those things are so simple that it's almost difficult to find one that's not in good shape; no piston edge to worry about, no HP o-ring on the piston shaft, no turret retainer. Parts are easy to find, too.

I've thought about using an old 2 port MK5 with an updated yoke for a pony reg, but it's just not worth the effort. If I ever get into deco/stage use and needed several I'd consider it.

Back
Top Bottom