XS Scuba wheeled mesh duffle - anyone check this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Byte Me

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Going on my first trip w/ my XS Scuba wheeled mesh duffle. It seems VERY sturdy but is it sturdy enough to check? Would you want to check it given that its see through mesh?

I'm planning on just putting it in my "dive suitcase" which is an old suitcase pretty much on its last legs, but it's very close to 62" size limit and getting close to 50#.

How long do you think the XS bag will last if checked each trip (figure twice a year).

"How long do you think the XS bag will last if checked each trip"

This is contingent to the size of the ape tossing it, of simply stated force is equal to to mass X exceleration and the density of the impact zone.

I just used mine it worked fine. Had my rebreather counter lung case, drysuit, weezle and a bunch of other stuff in it no problem.

Went from Juneau to San Diego then Vegas back to Juneau.

DM

Going on my first trip w/ my XS Scuba wheeled mesh duffle. It seems VERY sturdy but is it sturdy enough to check? Would you want to check it given that its see through mesh?

I'm planning on just putting it in my "dive suitcase" which is an old suitcase pretty much on its last legs, but it's very close to 62" size limit and getting close to 50#.

How long do you think the XS bag will last if checked each trip (figure twice a year).

you're wanting to put your scuba gear in a MESH bag and check it on the airline?

You're just asking to have your stuff stolen by an airline employee.

I didn't figure they'd waltz off with the bigger stuff like BC, full 3mm, fins but have thought better of it and will pack it in the larger suitcase. Thanks!

I didn't figure they'd waltz off with the bigger stuff like BC, full 3mm, fins but have thought better of it and will pack it in the larger suitcase. Thanks!

damn airline employee stole a pair of my shoes in July. A used pair of shoes that had already been worn.

so they will surely steal something they can sell on EBAY or craigslist like a BC.

I checked mine to and from Belize this October. No problems. I carried on my regulators. I also did an immediate check of its contents when I picked it up at baggage claim both in Belize and when I got back to the US.

This was the first time I used it and I probably won't again as it developed a 4" tear in the mesh on the top flap.

I work and travel for the airlines approx 180 days per year. Mesh will not have a long life as a checked bag. Mesh isn't designed for that type of abuse.
Some mesh bags, like the Akona wheeled mesh bag, have a velcro-attached liner that covers the mesh for use as a checked bag. Look for that to disappear the first time you use it. The TSA screeners will pull it off to inspect the contents and inevitably will not use the same care in re-installing it as you will. Consequently it will pull off during handling/loading/unloading.
Believe the old saying "out of sight, out of mind" in terms of theft. Use a solid-fabric travel bag and secure it with a TSA approved travel lock that the TSA can open for inspections and then re-secure.
My favorite travel bag is the Akona Roller Duffel (part # AKB226). Holds everything with 4220 cu ft capacity. It has an easy to access pocket built into the end of the bag designed and contoured to hold the optional Regulator Bag (AKB607). You can lock the main bag and pull your Reg Bag out to carry onboard with you. Nice telescoping handle and fixed stitched on handles. It only weights 11 lbs 9 oz.
I add an Akona AKB234 Deluxe Mesh Backpack with PVC coated mesh and you are ready to travel anywhere.
Here's a link to the roller duffel: https://00e31c0.netsolstores.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=402

This is contingent to the size of the ape tossing it, of simply stated force is equal to to mass X exceleration and the density of the impact zone.
I watched the CNBC special about American Airlines recently. One thing that absolutely shocked me was video of one of the automated conveyor belts they use inside airports to sort luggage into the correct carts (and then on to the correct planes). As the luggage when down a side plate punched the bag sideways into the. Not moved, not nudged, not coerced, punched! The bag literally flew into the side channel rolling until it hit the edge of the side compartment.

The apes at the airport have nothing on this new machinery.

It certainly made me rethink what goes into my checked luggage and how much of what would otherwise be checked I will carry on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom