Xoom -- experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Wide uses xoom to send money to Panama from the US and it works pretty good..

No problems so far

I've never heard of it!

Xoom is a public version of BOA's Safesend -- essentially a currency-trading company that wires internationally. They take a $4.99 fee (equivalent of the $5 international ATM fee) and a commission on the trade. Calculating using today's rates, the commission is 2%, which is the same as Safesend.

So the exchange rate you receive is lower than an ATM rate but may be better after the foreign currency/foreign transaction fee that your bank may charge if used your ATM card in Mexico.

Pick up may be made at any of a number of banks, Elektra, or Soriana.

Knowing how things work in Cozumel -- and the lack of knowledge here about Xoom -- I think it would be difficult for a tourist to retrieve the money (no Mexican ID or bank/store affiliation; no one knows you) and I would advise against using it right now.

Capital One cardholders, BOA cardholders using Santander ATMs, and Scotiabank cardholders using Scotiabank ATMs can pull money here without fees.

Last edited:
Capital One cardholders, BOA cardholders using Santander ATMs, and Scotiabank cardholders using Scotiabank ATMs can pull money here without fees.
That's the best method, I think - as long as you are careful to use bank ATMs, not the others around town. Wells Fargo now tells me that they won't charge me currency conversion fees, but that depends on your account.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom