X7 120 or X8 119?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just looking for a general idea of people's opinions. I'm about to buy a new bigger tank for some of those deeper average dives. I'm just wondering if I should go for the X7 120 or the X8 119. The reason I was leaning towards the X7 is because my other tanks are X7 100s and I won't have to adjust my cam bands to switch between them on a boat, however, the X8 119 and X7 100 are the same height where as the 120 is 4 inches taller but the 119 is heavier. Also the 119 technically holds more gas but not by much so no big deal I guess. Just not sure which way to go...

Any thoughts?

Clammy - Went through the same decision a couple months ago and chose the 120's and have not regretted my decision. The difference in size was fairly noticeable but I am 6'1" and the extra length balanced well, the 119's just felt short. The difference in gas capacity especially at depth is negligible. The best thing to do is see if you can try both and just go with the one that feels best on you.

Clammy,

I went the 119 route and have no regrets whatsoever (5'7" - 165 lbs.)

Now, if I had the choice to do it over again, I'd go the 130 route. Why, the extra gas is always an advantage, the additional cost is minimal, and the weight/length differences are negligible.

Keep in mind that most dive boats, at least the ones from which I generally dive, have their tank racks set up for 7-1/4" tanks and it can be problematic to secure one's 8" tanks.

I like the negative buoyancy characteristics of the HP steel tanks and the way they trim out.

But then diving is a very personally subjective hobby when it comes to gear.

Good luck in your choice and . . .

Safe dives . . . . . . . . . .
. . . and safer ascents!!!!

the K

I'm about to buy a new bigger tank for some of those deeper average dives. I'm just wondering if I should go for the X7 120 or the X8 119. The reason I was leaning towards the X7 is because my other tanks are X7 100s and I won't have to adjust my cam bands to switch between them on a boat, however, the X8 119 and X7 100 are the same height where as the 120 is 4 inches taller but the 119 is heavier.
I went with 120s. They work for me, although they are a bit long for me (5'10"). Good tank in terms of gas. Have not tried single 119s. I even doubled up my 120s, and that works as well.
The Kraken:
I went the 119 route and have no regrets whatsoever (5'7" - 165 lbs.) Now, if I had the choice to do it over again, I'd go the 130 route. Why, the extra gas is always an advantage, the additional cost is minimal, and the weight/length differences are negligible.
Good advice. I would do exactly the same! Think about the 130s. Great tanks.

Now, if I had the choice to do it over again, I'd go the 130 route. Why, the extra gas is always an advantage, the additional cost is minimal, and the weight/length differences are negligible.

Good advice K, I have both 120's and 130's, the 120's are a bit on the long side for some, I'm 6'2" and I really don't think the 120's would be very comfortable for anyone much shorter. The 130's and 119's are so close in size that I really don't see the point of 119's, get the extra gas the 130's offer in a tank that is only 1.5" taller than the 119.

Why the 119 when the 130 is available? If you look at all of worthingtons tanks, the two that makes the least sense are the X7-120 (not a great idea unless you are really tall with trim issues) and the X8-119 (which holds a lot less air than a X8-130 that weighs only a pound more and is only an inch taller.)

Well, that's why I said that if I could do it over again, I'd get the 130's.

That and also that I hope I can help another diver not make, what I consider to be, a mistake in tank selection.

Hind sight is 20/20.

the K

Thanks, this has really been helpful!

I'm 5'7" and wasn't sure how much the extra few inches on the tank was going to effect me. I mean they are the same height as AL80s but so much more weight. I'll probably go with the 130s because the cost difference is negligible. I was also concerned about the dry weight for lugging it around but it's only 5lbs more and I'm probably only going to be using that one on boat dives. I guess my other concern was doubling them up later in the future, at which point the 119s might be better since they aren't as wide but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

The 119 cf tanks are also 8" diameter tanks.

the K

Yeah, I was thinking the wider tanks would only really be an issue for the inconvenience of adjusting the straps between tanks if I have to switch between dives and possibly if I double them up, but I suppose it's really a non-issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom