WWII minisub - who found it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henryville

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sounds like a great find. Congratulations to those responsible.

From http://www.japundit.com

"One of Australia’s enduring WWII maritime mysteries has apparently been solved. During the Pacific War, elite Japanese submariners in their ‘midget’ vessels launched a daring raid on Sydney Harbour intending to sink a US ship that was docked there. Two of the midget submarines were intercepted and disabled, but the third managed to fire its torpedoes and, while missing its target, sunk another Allied vessel and killed 21 servicemen on board. The tiny sub then escaped the harbour and fled out to sea, but failed to rendezvous with its Japanese mother ship which was waiting off the coast. The fate of the submarine was, until now, unknown.

After around 24 ultimately mistaken claims by different groups that they had discovered the wreck since then (including one featured in a History Channel documentary last year), a bunch of amateur divers from Sydney finally located the real deal. The wreckage is just north of Sydney, still above the sea floor and has had its identity confirmed by Royal Australian Navy historians. Its discovery closes the book on one of Australia’s most elusive and important wartime enigmas and the site will be marked as a Japanese war grave to honour the brave submariners who took part in the raid. "

Great discovery. My Dad's family were captured by the Japanese and were POWs for 3 1/2 years. They had a tough time of it and I am glad the allies won. But I have to admire the courage of those submariner's who went on this mission. It adds to the history books. Congratulation to the divers that located the sub. This story is reminiscent of the recent discovery of the midget sub sunk off of Pearl Harbor by the USS Ward.

the thing about is is that its been "found" so many times in the past that this week when this news surfaced not many people belived it.... till sunday when we saw the footage and the navy declared it as "the one"

theres an exclusion zone around it, no diivng and a $1mil fine if you do (but i suspect with scooters & rebreathers its going to happen soon)

the actual location hasnt been revealed but yesterday the navy divers were on it and im guessing there was a few people watching along long reef to palm beach yesterday taking notice

cheers

Almitywife,

Where did you hear about the $1mil fine?

How on earth could they impose any sort of fine (let alone $1mil), and an exclusion zone, without first telling people where that exclusion zone is. :confused:

Hi Almitywife,

Thanks for those links. (I wonder if 60 minutes decided to exagerate the fine a little. You know - news has got to sound good :wink: )

almitywife:
sooooo... if your caught on it, your response is "i didnt know officer" :D

Personally, it sounds to be more like a scare tactic than a law that would actually be enforceable. I mean - is it just me, or is it really hard to believe that a law can exist that will fine you (or jail) for tresspassing, when they don't tell you the area you're not allowed to tresspass or have it sectioned off in the first place?

It's almost like saying we have certain toll roads now that you have to pay for to go on, but we're not going to tell you which roads these are - and if you go on them, you'll be fined. (I better not speak too loud, it might give those revenue raisers in government an idea) :shakehead

I guess they're in a bit of a bind though - tell people where it is, and people will sneak in, and go diving. It was probably decided the best approach is not to tell the public where it is and then threaten them - however, I can't see it holding up if it went to court.

Just my confusion for the day... :wink:

people know where it is... you just have to find the right people :wink:

doesnt help that the navy didnt go out there till AFTER the 60min report in their big navy boat... just had to watch from the headland to see them

my money says its already being dived on with rebreathers and scooters... but im only speculating :D

almitywife:
my money says its already being dived on with rebreathers and scooters... but im only speculating :D
... but are you only speculating. Your location is Sydney.... you have a big Grin... Why the big grin? :wink: What big teeth you have grandma. :)

but i dont have a rebreather or a scootter.... but i know MANY that do

seriously, im not interested in wrecks, its way too deep for me (though i peg it more at 40/50mtrs than 70 as they claim) and the thought of diving soemthing with dead bodies inside it is icky for me!

Sounds a little ridiculous imposing such a large fine like that. Why exclude this wreck...just because it was some dead bodies in it left over from the war...

I highly doubt there would be much of an interest for diving it anyway, seeing as it is in the 40-50 meter zone, meaning its really only accesable to those with rebreathers, or those trained in extended range diving. plus, there are many other wrecks around that offer a lot more to see, for example, the brisbane, a few hundred miles up the coast.

i guess ill just have to go do that rebreather and dpv course after all...hehe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom