Fullface mask by Victor Berge (circa 1940`s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMG -- No thermal protection!

upload_2018-11-23_9-45-24.png

Mare Island Naval Shipyard is in San Francisco Bay, +/- 50° F or 10° C.

@drbill posted
"Our local diving history museum put together by Jon Council has one "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill
Is it a Berge ORCO USN mask or a more common TECO aka Thompson mask ?

The TECO dose not have the large brass regulator but rather as mask with TECO in raised number on the nasal portion

Can you post a picture ?

Sam

Sam, I'm not on the island but should be able to post a picture when I get back there

Here are some pics.The
shallow-masks-old-010-jpg.490559.jpg
- This is not Berge mask, it is very different and very rare mask - First Japanese diving mask (1918) "near-fullface" mask

Also one very interesting notice...
When I told about my experience with self made full face mask - I told about masks with cylindrical or spherical glases... modern mask, used it - is Aquasphere, some years before - it was Hydrooptics, but first mask, used spherical glasses to correct air/water refraction - was Victor Berge mask!

1_43852aa9f6c1e5065f080cd99f555ede.jpg

Apologies for bumping a rather old thread, especially seeing as how I'm a new member.

Basically (and to cut a rather long story short), my uncle passed away last year and bequeathed me several of his possessions. Being a keen diver and WW2 historian, most of these items were military and naval collectible items, most of which I have been able to research and value. However....one of them proved quite difficult to find information upon. Until that is, I found this thread! Thanks op:) The item in question is a Victor Berge mask; in specific it appears to be the exact same one in the first post.

Having absolutely no interest in historical diving artifacts (apologies to all those that do), I'd ideally like to get the item back to its country of origin and in the hands of someone who can appreciate it; either it be a museum or a private collector. If anyone knows someone who may be interested, please let me know.

Anyway, thanks again op. The information you posted proved to be extremely useful.

img_20200320_132832_by_saiper_ddstr9t-fullview.jpg

Thanks
Rob

As far as a value.Like it is,maybe $200.If you had the original round brass second stage maybe up to $700.I have a mint one.Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. It's quite an interesting looking item, so I might put it on display. One thing I've noticed is that it's quite small. They must have had smaller heads back then:D

Here are pics of the original manual....
I own it but unfortunately not the Victor Berge FFM....if someone sell one....

Attachments

• 100_2490.JPG
    100_2490.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_2491.JPG
    100_2491.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_2492.JPG
    100_2492.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 100_2493.JPG
    100_2493.JPG