WW2 Royal Navy shipwreck salvage off Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was nothing to do with German u boats or WW2. In the very late 40,s or early 50,s a notice to fishermen was given to stay clear of the area as there was exercises been carried out. Explosions were heard and the British said later that a NATO exercise was carried out to test the theory that a Russia submarine could hide beside the wreck. They most likely dropped a few hedgehogs into the wreck.
According to the divers that dove on her in the early 70s, she was still intact.

According to the divers that dove on her in the early 70s, she was still intact.
John Light made a sketch of her in the 70,s when working on her. But if you watch this interview with a friend of mine who I worked and dived with you’ll get an idea how difficult it is to access the condition of the wreck in the 70,s It wasn’t until the 1980,s when Oceaneering went to the wreck that a good survey was done. They had the gear. At that time the Kinsale gas field was been worked on and the MV Wild Drake was preparing the base plate for drilling the Ballycotton gas field. They went to the wreck and entered the specie room but the safes were gone. The stern was damaged and there was hedgehog depth charges in the debris. I think you’ll enjoy the interview with Paddy.

The U2516 in Dry Tortugas has many hedgehogs on it.

I’d say they aren’t too reliable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom