WtF: The Decline in Scuba Participation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe diving shouldn’t be compared to a Disney Land ride whether or not you might want to get right back in line because it was so thrilling , or just kind of mediocre and not worth standing in line for again. Maybe because I don’t get a chance to go to these incredible spots around the Earth that all of you brag about constantly. I was forced to find beauty and a reason to continue with the means I had at hand which most of you would think is appalling, too cold, not enough vis, not enough of whatever else. BTW I find it after all these years still thrilling each and every time I go on another underwater adventure off my local beach.
I don’t know, I’m the type of person who sees diving as more of a lifestyle choice, not so much as a thrill ride experience and/or something that gets boring after a few months or years.
I still think there’s a difference between dabblers and true committed divers that live for it and will actually change their lives and geographical locations to take part in something that almost seems to be an integral part of their DNA.
Those people have the ability to find the most benign of dives interesting just because it’s a dive if for no other reason.
This opinion has nothing to do with your age or whether you’re a millennial, boomer, or what, it’s has to do with the type of person you are.

Maybe because I don’t get a chance to go to these incredible spots around the Earth that all of you brag about constantly. I was forced to find beauty and a reason to continue with the means I had at hand which most of you would think is appalling, too cold, not enough vis, not enough of whatever else. BTW I find it after all these years still thrilling each and every time I go on another underwater adventure off my local beach.

Enjoyed your post; a few years back I flew out to California as a dive tourist to experience what you guys have, in the Channel Islands, and was quite impressed. Granted, I prefer warm water destinations where I don't need as much exposure protection, but you have fine diving.

People for whom the ocean is local, even if it's cool water, have some options...especially if there's shore diving. Inland it's a harder sell. Unless you're a naturalist type with an appreciation for macro (e.g.: what species is that crayfish?), after you've seen the bream, bass and catfish, and occasionally turtle...well... And viz. is likely pretty bad. There are exceptions to these stereotypes...Florida springs (but then you're closer to the ocean than I am) and the Great Lakes (which I haven't dove).

Maybe the industry should push more detailed appreciation of the naturalist side of freshwater diving (e.g.: there are a range of 'panfish' species) - but aside from springs and quarries, viz. is often an issue.

I still think there’s a difference between dabblers and true committed divers that live for it and will actually change their lives and geographical locations to take part in something that almost seems to be an integral part of their DNA.

I wonder what fraction of the recreational dive market each represents? Is there a difference in how they are recruited to the hobby? I'm guessing those leaning toward 'dabblers' are heavily in the majority.

Maybe diving shouldn’t be compared to a Disney Land ride whether or not you might want to get right back in line because it was so thrilling , or just kind of mediocre and not worth standing in line for again. Maybe because I don’t get a chance to go to these incredible spots around the Earth that all of you brag about constantly. I was forced to find beauty and a reason to continue with the means I had at hand which most of you would think is appalling, too cold, not enough vis, not enough of whatever else. BTW I find it after all these years still thrilling each and every time I go on another underwater adventure off my local beach.
I don’t know, I’m the type of person who sees diving as more of a lifestyle choice, not so much as a thrill ride experience and/or something that gets boring after a few months or years.
Those people have the ability to find the most benign of dives interesting just because it’s a dive if for no other reason.
This opinion has nothing to do with your age or whether you’re a millennial, boomer, or what, it’s has to do with the type of person you are.
Well stated and I feel the same way. It's definitely a lifestyle choice. It shouldn't be a contest of the most awesome and thrill filled dive. Yes there are differences in quality sometimes due to climate change and there is some devastation. However, there is much wonder in left in our underworld playground and let's just enjoy it and share it while we can.

Enjoyed your post; a few years back I flew out to California as a dive tourist to experience what you guys have, in the Channel Islands, and was quite impressed. Granted, I prefer warm water destinations where I don't need as much exposure protection, but you have fine diving.

People for whom the ocean is local, even if it's cool water, have some options...especially if there's shore diving. Inland it's a harder sell. Unless you're a naturalist type with an appreciation for macro (e.g.: what species is that crayfish?), after you've seen the bream, bass and catfish, and occasionally turtle...well... And viz. is likely pretty bad. There are exceptions to these stereotypes...Florida springs (but then you're closer to the ocean than I am) and the Great Lakes (which I haven't dove).

Maybe the industry should push more detailed appreciation of the naturalist side of freshwater diving (e.g.: there are a range of 'panfish' species) - but aside from springs and quarries, viz. is often an issue.

I wonder what fraction of the recreational dive market each represents? Is there a difference in how they are recruited to the hobby? I'm guessing those leaning toward 'dabblers' are heavily in the majority.
Yes I Believe the dabblers are in the great majority.
I also want to make it clear that calling them dabblers was not mean’t to be derogatory. I just used the term because I can’t think of a better or more appropriate term to use.
I believe they are actually the people who are holding up the industry and sport at this time.
I also believe that in conjunction with the above statement, they are more of the revolving door syndrome types that give it up after a few years simply because of expense and logistics than the person who dives local for years and years and finds enjoyment doing the same local dives in the same spots year after year on a surfers budget.
The local diver pretty much becomes the dove shop dead beat not spending a lot of money but one who likes to hang out and talk about diving a lot and making dive shop owners crazy.
Whereas the dabblers come in, take a bunch of classes, buy a bunch of gear, go on a few trips and move on. The dive shop then needs to find more of these people to continue the revenue stream. It’s kind of a Ponzy scheme in a way. The local diver dead beats sure ‘ain’t payin the bills.
Does the health of the tropical reef that they just payed good money to fly to to see have anything to do with it? maybe, but I think it’s a combo of everything that adds up to them losing interest.
The local might dive a lot but they are also a terrible revenue stream.
It’s the great Irony!

Life is short so some people would probably just like to try something difference for a while and then move on.
Some of them tried scuba diving on vacation because the resort is offering the course. Went home happily and bragged about the card, bought some expensive equipment and went for a dedicated diving trip later. And then realized what he/she experienced in the resort had nothing to do with other places. Sold the equipment and ....all history.

I knew some new tec divers who had spent a fortune on equipment and then gave up pretty quickly when realized the risk involved without the helping hand of the instructor.

The local might dive a lot but they are also a terrible revenue stream.
It’s the great Irony!

The previous owner of Divers Down (DD) in UAE once told me that they don't make money from divers like me because:
I have all of my own gear including tanks.
I don't get fills from them (they didn't provide Nitrox back then)
I don't do courses with them.

However, I did do a course (Solo) with DD and did buy some gear from too (two wings and a harness), both around eight years ago. But I agree, they don't make much money from long term divers.

Basically I'm paying for a boat ride these days, however if there was decent local shore diving I wouldn't even be using a dive op except for fills.

Some numbers here: Scuba Diving Participation Rate & Statistics 2021.

The define a "core diver" as one who does more than 7 dives per year. Although numbers have declined some since 2015, the numbers are into the millions. That doesn't really seem like a "small" sport.

The key to any recreational sport is marketing. Like Crossfit to Peloton—one needs to make it a community and an identity. If agencies stop bickering and start focusing on creating a community, SCUBA will make a comeback until then; all the egos and ******** will continue to push younger generations away.

The key to any recreational sport is marketing. Like Crossfit to Peloton—one needs to make it a community and an identity. If agencies stop bickering and start focusing on creating a community, SCUBA will make a comeback until then; all the egos and ******** will continue to push younger generations away.
I agree with all of it up until I read the part about the egos pushing new divers away. I agree with the huge egos, but I don’t think they are pushing them away because the new prospects haven’t gotten involved deep enough to see the egos.
Unless of course the egos in diving are so bad that somehow the information about it has leaked out so they know even before they become divers.

Only the decimation of the existing coral reef would have detrimental effect on future diving generation.
Who would go skiing if there is no snow on the piste ?

Unfortunately the future does not look very promising at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom