wrong poppet spring...???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverintheflesh

Contributor
Reaction score
so, I was doing a service on three 2nd stage Atomic regs. Ti2, B2, then a Z2...

no issue, with the service of Ti2, but when I got to the B2, the poppet spring appeared to be longer. I was doing them all concurrently, so remembered.

when I got to Z2, I noted that the spring was the same size as the B2.

I looked at the exploded diagram, and cannot tell from the drawing how many turns the spring is suppose to have and they all have the same part number.

when I got to the 1st stage and removed the small spring (the one that has a diameter slightly larger than the shaft of piston, it dawned on me, if a service tech took apart both regs and got the springs mixed up, they could have put the wrong springs in each reg...

the part numbers for both ARE different. the springs in the 1st stages were identical.

since Atomic 2nd stages have variability in the adjustments in the spring pad and orifice, I might be able to get cracking effort in the acceptable range.

that begs the question though, composite of spring materials, lifespan, wear on other components, force required to push spring, etc. can have unknown consequences.

I'm servicing the regs for a friend and don't want him to get hurt. I don't know that the spring installed is not the correct spring, or was at some point in the past, either.

I don't work for an Atomic retailer so don't have access to their service department and even if I did, I'd have to find a tech with 10+ years of experience as the regs are that old (at least)... BTW, I have worked for an Atomic retailer, where I learned service, I have the proper tools and gauges, and use genuine parts.

bf26e22592626941e91bc5cde56ee75c.jpg

(this is the poppet spring)

0c6682720aa13ac560d240263a5e0912.jpg

(this is the spring I believe is not right)

e48f84f93a7110d51b3e3ce63c3b2609.jpg

(this is the spring from B2 and Z2)

c1c884c22ea07d88443368586c3cb672.jpg

(this is the spring that I suspect it is)

thanks for any feedback you can give.

My guess is that the previous tech "lost" the right spring and did not have a replacement so just used a spring from another "source." I have seen a fair number of "interesting" replacement parts in the AA regs I have taken apart over the past few years. I'd suggest finding a source for the right spring and rebuild.

I know all about that "source". maybe my friend will have recourse with the place he bought it. as is, is one thing, even if broken. but, putting the wrong piece inside isn't good mojo...

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom