WRK Enterprises Edge and HOG BC Recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffhamm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
WRK Enterprises recalls Edge and HOG bouancy control devices due to drowning Hazzard. OPV can corrode

Jeff

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued a recall of 750 Edge and HOG (Highly Optimized Gear) Buoyancy Control Devices due to a defect in the device that can pose a drowning hazard. The agency said the spring in the over pressure valve can corrode and break, preventing the buoyancy control device from retaining air and posing a drowning hazard to consumers. There have been no injuries associated with this product. Staff Report, PR Newswire 05/03/2011

This is not unique to Hog/Edge. The OEM folks who make the OPVs (which are pretty standard across the industry, except with DSS) had a problem with their steel, which resulted in the springs inside the OPV's rusting. Several manufacturers have recalled their OPVs.

This is not unique to Hog/Edge. The OEM folks who make the OPVs (which are pretty standard across the industry, except with DSS) had a problem with their steel, which resulted in the springs inside the OPV's rusting. Several manufacturers have recalled their OPVs.

Very true. Both my Dive Rite wings have shiny new springs (1+ years ago) from their recall.

Does that mean if I were to buy a HOG wing today (like I planned to) it would have the "fixed" springs?

Does that mean if I were to buy a HOG wing today (like I planned to) it would have the "fixed" springs?

Yes. Any new bc's or wings have the correct springs in them. As was already stated this is old news.

Back
Top Bottom