Wrist seals and small wrists...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I picked up a Mares Isotherm semi-dry - I'm 6'4" and about 220, so I fit pretty good in an XXL - maybe a little too much space under the armpits and in the small of my back than I would prefer, but not too bad, especially once you get in the water.

My problem is my wrist seals - I have especially thin "girly-girl" wrists. The ankle seals great - I was wearing socks with my booties and they came out dry. But I can feel water stream in through my wrists, down my arm, into the small of my back, etc.

I'm assuming duct-taping my wrists shut isn't an option - :D but does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way of fixing this issue?

I had a suit with loose cuffs, I mad some little "slip over" neoprene wrist bands out of 1/8" material to take up the slack when I wasn't wearing gloves.
Other option is to get some gloves that'll go either under the suit cuff, or over it & seal it off better.
Nuttin' wrong with duct tape tho.:eek:ut:

That's a good point. Here's taking it one step simpler - am I being exceptionally simplistic here, or would an elastic band or two do the trick, if you just slipped it over the neoprene seal?

They'll fatten those wrists right up!

I also have thin wrists. They're getting bigger now.

Peter

Cut out the seals and put in smaller neoprene of latex seals. I wouldn't cut off my circulation to my hands or limbs by using duct tape(sorry Bob3)

I have the same problem and just bought a dry suit with latex seals.

I have the same thin wrist issue (but I AM a girlie-girl!). I just put two ponytail-elastic bands around each wrist (one above and one below the seal, because that's just how I am) and it helps a lot. Read on another thread that you can have them taken in by a professional custom suit shop, but I promise the ponytail holders are cheaper.

I'm new to drysuit diving - and I noticed in the training material that they have advice on this issue. They suggest that you move the seal a little higher on the forearm. OK, you may get a cold spot, but it's going to be better than having a leak. And you can always look for gloves with a longer cuff.

Thanks for the input folks... I've long since moved on... now do most of my diving in a DUI drysuit with no problems - especially since I've discovered Dry Gloves.

Boogie711:
Thanks for the input folks... I've long since moved on... now do most of my diving in a DUI drysuit with no problems - especially since I've discovered Dry Gloves.

Now that it is the best way to solve a leaky seal.

Back
Top Bottom