Wrist Mounted Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear from excellent sources that it will be released at DEMA next month.

Don’t hold your breath anyone.:stirpot:
Given the amount of time that this thread has covered, I doubt anyone is holding his/her breath anymore.

Given the amount of time that this thread has covered, I doubt anyone is holding his/her breath anymore.

Oh ye of little faith...it’s only been five years now. Funny thing, there’s another manufacturer also struggling to deliver a computer.

I guess I can say this now, Huish Outdoors made a general rule not to show at DEMA any products that would not be actually shipping by January. The wrist computer still has tooling in progress and is not going to ship by January, so it won’t be shown there, not publicly anyway. I don’t know if there will be any “behind the curtain” showings, and I won’t be at the show.

No one is more anxious to get this wrist mount, AI computer to market than we are. All I can say is that the pace has not been due to any technical problems with the design, but has to do with larger corporate priorities and allocation of resources. That is what has driven the schedule for at least the last several years.

The original product discussed in this thread was halted in favor of one that would be more advanced, with long range hoseless gas monitoring. Getting that new design to actual physical production has had to fit in with many other projects.

I have been burned in the past making predictions, but it sure looks close to me.

Ron

I guess I can say this now, Huish Outdoors made a general rule not to show at DEMA any products that would not be actually shipping by January. The wrist computer still has tooling in progress and is not going to ship by January, so it won’t be shown there, not publicly anyway. I don’t know if there will be any “behind the curtain” showings, and I won’t be at the show.

No one is more anxious to get this wrist mount, AI computer to market than we are. All I can say is that the pace has not been due to any technical problems with the design, but has to do with larger corporate priorities and allocation of resources. That is what has driven the schedule for at least the last several years.

The original product discussed in this thread was halted in favor of one that would be more advanced, with long range hoseless gas monitoring. Getting that new design to actual physical production has had to fit in with many other projects.

I have been burned in the past making predictions, but it sure looks close to me.

Ron
Ron,
Thanks for the updates! Any guestimate on the price range? But I guess you probably cannot divulge that either.

Updates, schmupdates...for crying out loud, these so-called updates are all the same, to wit:
  1. Yeah, I suppose it's been a little while, eh? We're sorry, really.
  2. Don't worry, it's coming along, they're making significant progress. Really
  3. It's gonna be worth the wait, it's gonna be GREAT, really.
  4. It's definitely closer to being released than it was the last time we had an update - really
  5. Hang in there, it won't be long - REALLY!
This once-great brand has ZERO credibility - NONE. You want to buy some magic beans? We'll have those for you soon, there have just been some minor setbacks in production, but honestly, the beans are almost done and will be available soon. Really!!!

Speculation; I wonder to what extent the changing competitive landscape may have led to delays to revise the product?

Shearwater coming out with an A.I. version of the Perdix was a surprise to many. I've not been closely following the ScubaPro G2 but it seems to be getting some attention. Suunto's EON Steel has been out for quite awhile.

When the Cobalt came out, it was rather unique amongst consoles in terms of GUI and intuitive ease-of-use; the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 was a (cheaper) competitor, and looking at the two, well, was it really that close (aside from price)?

I'd love to see Atomic Aquatics bat a home run here, but I'm wondering how much they can bring to the table against fairly mature products by established competitors.

Something like buddy pressure checks & buddy locator functions at a distance (flashback to the Lynx!) would be nice. What else is left for Atomic to put out that's going to leap frog competitors now?

Put another way, if I were in the market for a new dive computer soon, I might consider waiting for Atomic's wrist unit, but I'd have to ask myself...what am I wanting for? Even if it's what you hope, what exactly will that be? Is it something you can't go out & buy today from a competitor?

Look forward to seeing how the answer plays out in the real world...:popcorn:

Richard.

Speculation; I wonder to what extent the changing competitive landscape may have led to delays to revise the product?

Shearwater coming out with an A.I. version of the Perdix was a surprise to many. I've not been closely following the ScubaPro G2 but it seems to be getting some attention. Suunto's EON Steel has been out for quite awhile.

When the Cobalt came out, it was rather unique amongst consoles in terms of GUI and intuitive ease-of-use; the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 was a (cheaper) competitor, and looking at the two, well, was it really that close (aside from price)?

I'd love to see Atomic Aquatics bat a home run here, but I'm wondering how much they can bring to the table against fairly mature products by established competitors.

Something like buddy pressure checks & buddy locator functions at a distance (flashback to the Lynx!) would be nice. What else is left for Atomic to put out that's going to leap frog competitors now?

Put another way, if I were in the market for a new dive computer soon, I might consider waiting for Atomic's wrist unit, but I'd have to ask myself...what am I wanting for? Even if it's what you hope, what exactly will that be? Is it something you can't go out & buy today from a competitor?

Look forward to seeing how the answer plays out in the real world...:popcorn:

Richard.
Yup. I was really interested in what Atomic would put out, but am quite happy with my Perdix AI now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom