Wrist Computer vs Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

splicer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am an Open water diver and am ready to plunge into buying my own equipment. Which is the general opinion on computers. Wrist type or console type.Thanks

This all depends on how you arrange your gear and what you are trying to achieve.

I myself started out with a react pro wrist mounted then switched it to a holder for a hose mount on my SPG, I then not liking those configurations switched to a console layout, this worked well for my for two years until I had my cataract surgery and found it a pain in the arse to always pull my gauges out in front of me to read them.

I have been trained or taught by a instructor to criss-cross my gear, I.E. my octo comes across my chest and is secured to my left side and my SPG Console is secured to my right, this keeps me from getting caught up on anything, SO with this configuration I was always pulling my spg in front to read.

I then started looking at side mounted consoles and I found one I liked, Ariea make the Atmos AI. check it out but thats my .05 cents......

Attachments

• Megeladon Tooth.jpg
    Megeladon Tooth.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 71
Uhhhh say what?

Wrist only for me.

hose is cheaper, radio on wrist most expensive....everything else is personal preference

I started out with a Cobra console. I found it annoying beyond belief to have to drag the thing up to look at my depth. Pressure, I can check every five to ten minutes and be happy. But depth and dive time are something I often need to reference more frequently. I am much happier with a computer on my wrist.

Wrist is the only way to fly!!

I just bought my first set of gear and went with a wrist computer Suunto VYTEC

I also like wrist mounted. The console is even worse if your compass is on it. You would have to hold it almost through out the whole dive if you have to navigate.

Nice thing with a wrist computer is you don't have to pack your regs around to do your log book.

I moved mine to my wrist from a large console (looked like the one SharkBaite posted) and am very happy, much easier to track depth on acents, compass is on other wrist, easier for me to track that as well ...
But ... as has been said, it depends on what you want to do .. I know someone that is an avid hunter and has a console because wrist mounted gages would get damaged/restrict him from sticking arm into lobster hidyholes

Back
Top Bottom