Wrinkles November '07 Dive Planning Thread - Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOOOOHOOOO! Plane tickets are bought and hotel reservations are made! So, how does one SoCal raiding Ohio bunny and her hubby get on that dive boat on Sunday?

Ann Marie, thank you so much for your hospitable offer BIG HUG! Looking forward to coming to the left coast and meeting everyone!
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
WOOOOHOOOO! Plane tickets are bought and hotel reservations are made! So, how does one SoCal raiding Ohio bunny and her hubby get on that dive boat on Sunday?

Ann Marie, thank you so much for your hospitable offer BIG HUG! Looking forward to coming to the left coast and meeting everyone!
That's great news!

We're going to have so much fun!

The info on the Sunday morning boat dive is here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=171814

We had a great time on the Sunday morning boat dive for the July Wrinkles Dive 3 weeks ago and I look forward to doing it again in November!

Anyone wanting to go on the Sunday boat dive should call and make their reservations, so that we can start knocking the price down with more people in attendance.

Since the boat will leave at 10:00 am that morning, it means you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn, so we can stay up a little later on Saturday. I like that since I'm really not a morning person. Most people don't know that about me, since I'm usually at the Wrinkles sites at about 6:30 am to save us a spot. :eyebrow:

The pricing was worked out with Cinde and you may have to remind them about it since I made the arrangements last December with her. They don't charge your credit card until that day anyway.

Christian

Approximately what time are we out of the water? I was kind of counting on an early departure so I could get a 24 hour wait between my last dive and my 10:45am flight on Monday. Hopefully hubby won't be reluctant to do the boat dive without the 24 hours pre-flight. I don't mind following my computer's no-fly time recommendation but I'm not sure about him.

Ber Rabbit:
Approximately what time are we out of the water? I was kind of counting on an early departure so I could get a 24 hour wait between my last dive and my 10:45am flight on Monday. Hopefully hubby won't be reluctant to do the boat dive without the 24 hours pre-flight. I don't mind following my computer's no-fly time recommendation but I'm not sure about him.
Well, if you want to be out of the water 24 hrs before, clearly you need to be out by 10:45!

That said, doesn't it depend on how many dives you are doing. If you limit it to one or two shallow dives that don't push the limits, I'm sure an 18 hour delay before flying would be ok. IIRC, if you only do one dive within the NDLs, PADI sayd you can fly within 12 hrs.

CompuDude:
Well, if you want to be out of the water 24 hrs before, clearly you need to be out by 10:45!
DUH :rofl3:
The question is, is that possible? I've never even been to California except one layover at LAX so I don't know how far the sites are from the dock. If it's a 10 minute ride I can have a 35 min dive and still be good :D What if I count on the plane leaving late, afternoon flights usually do :wink: Then I can get the second dive in :eyebrow:

CompuDude:
That said, doesn't it depend on how many dives you are doing. If you limit it to one or two shallow dives that don't push the limits, I'm sure an 18 hour delay before flying would be ok. IIRC, if you only do one dive within the NDLs, PADI sayd you can fly within 12 hrs.

But we'll be diving Saturday as well and hopefully doing 3-4 dives. That means we've got a nitrogen load going for the two boat dives on Sunday. We tend to go with how we were trained many moons ago...24 hours between dives :wink: I'm willing to listen to the computer though since it's not using a square profile. The question is, will hubby go for that or will I have to leave him on shore LOL!

Ber Rabbit:
I you did both dives (full length dives), you'd probably still be out of the water by 2pm which would give you over 20 hours before you had to get on the plane. If it takes the plane a few minutes to taxi down the runway and finally get in the air you'd probably get over 21 hours. :wink:

Everyone's risk tolerance is a little different, but I'd personally feel quite comfortable with considerably less than that.

Christian

Just booked my room and it sounds like we've got one heck of a group showing up. There is still space at both the Seaport Village and the Hermosa.

Ber Rabbit- Can't wait to put a face to the name!

My rooms are booked as well. With any luck I'll have my wife along, so people can see she exists. :)

What a great deal. I'm in as well! Just booked a room for my fiance (who should be certified by then, yeah!) and myself. She doesn't have her equipment yet, so would it be better to rent the gear on the island or on the mainland?

Thanks,
Gerald

Scuba G:
What a great deal. I'm in as well! Just booked a room for my fiance (who should be certified by then, yeah!) and myself. She doesn't have her equipment yet, so would it be better to rent the gear on the island or on the mainland?

Thanks,
Gerald
If you rent it on Catalina Island, it will make travelling to and from the island a whole lot easier.

Also, if you do the Post Wrinkles Sunday Morning Boat Dive with Catalina Divers Supply (CDS) on the Scuba Cat, I believe they will give you a discount on air fills and rentals. Speak to Cinde at CDS to confirm that, but I believe it's a pretty substantial discount on the gear rental. She told me what it would be when I last saw her, but I always forget that part since I don't rent gear.

Christian

Back
Top Bottom