Wrecks in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic_diver45

Contributor
Reaction score
Rather simple question: Are there any wrecks in Cozumel? I hear everyone rant and rave about good general diving in Coz, but I never hear anyone say anything about wrecks so it has brought me to ask about it.

medic_diver45:
Rather simple question: Are there any wrecks in Cozumel? I hear everyone rant and rave about good general diving in Coz, but I never hear anyone say anything about wrecks so it has brought me to ask about it.

There's one; I believe it's called the C-93. I guess it's not technically a wreck; it was sunk intentionally.

There's pieces of an old airplane that was sunk off La Ceiba in the 70's but which hurricanes have pretty well scattered, and there's a couple of barges, but none of those are enterable.

Cheers,

medic_diver45:

I was in cozumel a couple weeks ago and we did the C53 wreck.
It was a pretty easy dive since there was very little current and the bottom tops at 80-90ft. The wreck has been clean up and large holes have been cut to facilitate penetration. Lines have also been laid.
We spend 90% of our time inside the wreck and there are some pretty cool rooms to explore. However I don't think it is as good as some of the wrecks in Florida.

I love wreck diving so i had a good time and we were the only group in the water at that time (7 divers). However i have heard that it can be pretty crowded and since the boat is not huge and most people are penetrating, the visibility can be significantly reduced.

Hope this helps.
Op

OP is correct, it is the C-53. It was sunk about 5 - 6 years ago. You can find lots of info if you search the web for it.

I have dove it three times in the last two years. In 2003 there was a huge bait ball; millions of bait fish hanging out inside. Where the food goes, the predators go! There used to be a decent sized Nassau Grouper that hung around the deck, and a large grouper inside the ship, plus a couple wary Barracuda outside. The bait fish were gone in 2004, but the pairs of Angels were still hanging around the deck and there were lots of Glassy Slippers down in the engine compartment.

There isn't a lot of growth on the C-53 yet, but it is getting better each year. The propeller is dramatic, and there are some good spots for pictures at the wheelhouse. There is a stairway inside that can be photogenic, but my best picture is of a stairway out on the deck.

I really liked the wreck in 2003, and I knew that my buddy would love it when we went in 2004. So I begged and pleaded with our dive op until we were allowed to do it. Of course my buddy loved it. I will definitely try to fit it into my dive schedule whenever I return.

There are some large cutouts in places on the sides, and ropes leading through some of the compartments. I need to find my photos to post . . . .

Enjoy, and let us know how you liked it!

Wristshot

I've been to Coz 5 times in the last two years and I always like diving the C-53 ( a former US Navy minesweeper called the USS Scuffle which saw action in WWII. Given to the Mexican Navy in the 60's and renamed. Sunk in 2001 as a artifical reef.)
Me and my buddies always get a kick out of diving it.
Have a great time.
Here's a pic.[url=http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php?

It is Cozumel's only wreck dive (besides the plane in front of La Ceiba if you want to call that a wreck dive...I call it a junkpile dive).

It was originally a US military ship. After several years of being deactivated, the Mexican Government aquired it (in 1962) and reactivated by the Mexican Navy. It served in the Gulf of MX and Caribbean in patrol operations for drug traficking, monitoring, and search and rescue missions. It was deactivated in June 1999. It is a 1000 ton minesweeper that is 40 feet tall, 33 ft beam, and 184 ft long. It has three decks.

It was sunk in June 2000 in a sandy area near Chankanaab. The bottom is at 80 ft and the top is right around 40 ft. Port holes were cut out much larger as well as additional holes being cut so that divers can swim in and out. There is also a line that goes throughout the ship for easy reference.

Although technically there are points that would be considered true penetration, for the most part there is always a light zone and it is a nice "starter wreck" for those interested in wreck diving. Although, excellent buoyancy and good gas management is still recommended for this dive.

Per marine park regulations, the guide to diver ratio is 4:1.

Christi,

You stated,"Per marine park regulations, the guide to diver ratio is 4:1.". Did you mean 1:4?

I will be in CZM starting on the 12th and diving with Liquid Blue. Hope to see you at the surface interval as before.

Duane

dnhill:
Christi,

You stated,"Per marine park regulations, the guide to diver ratio is 4:1.". Did you mean 1:4?

I will be in CZM starting on the 12th and diving with Liquid Blue. Hope to see you at the surface interval as before.

Duane

Yes I did...sorry for that typo and thanks for catching it :) I'll be off island for most of your trip, so not sure I'll see you.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom