Wreckomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NJScubaDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'll be making my first trip to NC next week, pretty excited to check out some of the Wrecks....any recommendations? I hear the Spar is good for sand tigers...what else is good?

Spar, U352, Schurz.

Sure, the Spar is always good for Sandies. BUT. Can I say that my last two dives on the Caribsea and the Proteus I saw FAR more Sand Tigers, and these are less frequently visited wrecks, so we picked up tons of teeth too. The Caribsea is east of the shoals, not always doable, and sometimes has lower visibility than the other wrecks west of the shoals due it's location. The Proteus is an extended day and although the dive was fabulous, it was too long of a day for me. The ride out was nearly 4 hours.

Honestly, your captain is your partner. The conditions of each day will dictate where you are likely to have the best dives. So work with your captain, let him/her know what you want to see, and ask for their advice. We had to thumb our second dive choice yesterday as the mate jumped in and the vis was about 3 feet. So we went on to another destination where it was about 10-15. Yesterday was not a banner day for good vis anywhere, but we had one great dive, and one decent one.

Which wrecks? Honestly, you can request a certain wreck, but you are going to go where the Capt decides based on seas, vis, current, and everyone on the boat, etc.

This past week we were on the Olympus and the Capt decided that we should go to the Caribsea as a dive boat that was there the day before said vis was excellent and no current. As soon as he said that, half the boat started whining, said they wanted to do the U-352 instead. These two wrecks are very far apart so he couldn't check one out first, it was all or nothing... people said they really wanted to do the sub. So we headed for the sub instead of the Caribsea. We got there and as he expected, the seas were rough and current was blasting.. so we had to go to the Spar which was nearby. Not a bad thing, but I would have rather gone to the Caribsea since it was a better likelihood of good vis and no current. It is also a WWII wreck, which was a big deal to us. We did the Spar and it was a great dive, lots of sharks, but vis was maybe 20' and there was current as soon as you got up off the wreck. The Capt did the right thing, he tried to please the most people on the boat, though it wasn't my first choice. Yes, we really really really wanted to do the sub, but only if we could do it safely. There's always next trip.

robin:D

Which wrecks? Honestly, you can request a certain wreck, but you are going to go where the Capt decides based on seas, vis, current, and everyone on the boat, etc.

This past week we were on the Olympus and the Capt decided that we should go to the Caribsea as a dive boat that was there the day before said vis was excellent and no current. As soon as he said that, half the boat started whining, said they wanted to do the U-352 instead. These two wrecks are very far apart so he couldn't check one out first, it was all or nothing... people said they really wanted to do the sub. So we headed for the sub instead of the Caribsea. We got there and as he expected, the seas were rough and current was blasting.. so we had to go to the Spar which was nearby. Not a bad thing, but I would have rather gone to the Caribsea since it was a better likelihood of good vis and no current. It is also a WWII wreck, which was a big deal to us. We did the Spar and it was a great dive, lots of sharks, but vis was maybe 20' and there was current as soon as you got up off the wreck. The Capt did the right thing, he tried to please the most people on the boat, though it wasn't my first choice. Yes, we really really really wanted to do the sub, but only if we could do it safely. There's always next trip.

robin:D

You make a GREAT point Robin. Let the Captain know what you are interested in, but then LISTEN to him/her about the conditions at the site. I LOVE the Caribsea, and it isn't always easy to get to. Just come back sometime and we'll give it a try.

Caribsea is a nice 2nd dive, but I like the Atlas better.

Lulubelle; were you on the Midnight Express this past Saturday? We were the other boat (Under Pressure)on the Proteus that day. Was wondering how long of a run that was from Morehead.

Lulubelle; were you on the Midnight Express this past Saturday? We were the other boat (Under Pressure)on the Proteus that day. Was wondering how long of a run that was from Morehead.

Big Adventure ride....I heard 5 hours in those seas

I like the Atlas too, but we just had such a massive number of sharks on the Caribsea last time I was out that I loved it!

Yes, I was on the Midnight, how the heck did you know that? Must have been my purple and white fins? It was WAY TOO LONG of a ride if you ask me. I think it was about 4 hours out by my clock. But since I dive within recreational limits, that was simply too far to go for that length of a dive. We were not allowed to do our second dive there, possibly due to deteriorating conditions. I don't know that I would do it again from Morehead to be honest.

HA! We saw you...we saw you!!!

RAD and I were on the boat already hooked to the Proteus when you got there. I'll post video!

Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom