Wreck specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SailNaked

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I have AOW and 5 wreck dives, to get the PADI wreck specialty do I have to do 4 more wreck dives in a course with someone watching me or can I go down to my LDS with my log book and $125 or so? :eyebrow:

Now, that wouldn:t be a course would it? Were you after a certification or a merrit badge?

The PADI wreck course involves 4 dives under direct supervision of an instructor. I am in the midst of teaching this speciality and will complete the final two dives tomorrow. Each of the training dives has a list of skills that must be demonstrated by the student to the instructor. It is one of the courses with the most challenging skills & safety training but also one of the funnest. Don't short change yourself for the sake of card collecting. Find a good experienced instructor from whom you can learn something valuable on each of these training dives so you can add to your current level of experience and enhance your safety & enjoyment of future wreck dives.

In addition you need to complete the knowledge reviews in the wreck specialty manual and go over them with an instructor. Finning techniques and your buoyancy should also be observed and fine tuned through direct instructor observation/feeback. Reel handling is a big aspect as well as the safety issues Elena mentions.

By showing an unverified logbook to a dive shop you have not completed a training course.
You need to complete any course by any agency to get the card. Courses are about more than card collecting. They are about taking the class to shorten your learning curve and have a professional critique you to perfect your technique.

Don't short change everyone else who actually did the work.

I actually felt that wreck specialty was one of the better value-for-money specialty courses.

First time you try it, you will be surprised how difficult it is to pay out a reel, whilst holding a light and keeping neutrel bouyancy, all without kicking up a bunch of silt.

I also have my AOW & 5 Wreck Dives... I'm finishing my Wreck Speciality with an instructor this summer, the Wreck Dive from my AOW counts as #1. Even though I could get by with just 3 more Wreck Dives I'll be doing #4 in Lake Michigan so I'll also do a fifth dive (as I've paid for the boat ride already).

I plan to penetrate on Dives 4 & 5. Yes, I have a Pony Bottle Rig, 2 flashlights & 2 reels.

I'd do the class without a card, I love wrecks and want to be able to get the most out of the experience.

Seriously, what's the downside of actually doing the work, you get to practice and demonstrate the required skills on Wrecks! Four more dives in your log book, is that so bad?

I also have my AOW & 5 Wreck Dives... I'm finishing my Wreck Speciality with an instructor this summer, the Wreck Dive from my AOW counts as #1. Even though I could get by with just 3 more Wreck Dives I'll be doing #4 in Lake Michigan so I'll also do a fifth dive (as I've paid for the boat ride already).

I plan to penetrate on Dives 4 & 5. Yes, I have a Pony Bottle Rig, 2 flashlights & 2 reels.

I'd do the class without a card, I love wrecks and want to be able to get the most out of the experience.

Seriously, what's the downside of actually doing the work, you get to practice and demonstrate the required skills on Wrecks! Four more dives in your log book, is that so bad?

Awesome!!...have a blast on your training dives. You'll find that all the new skills you work on and perfecting others with the help of your instructor will be useful in other dive situations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom