Wreck specialty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you're paying the $125 or so anyway; why not dive as well? at least you won't pay for air :)

But wait if an Idiot dies in a wreck will someone retrieve their body so I can still die the wreck without distrubing a grave?

Yes, they will...although doing so possess many serious risks to the individual attempting the recovery.

If you do some research, you will see that most commonly visited wreck sites have claimed diving victims in the past.

Now, that wouldn:t be a course would it? Were you after a certification or a merrit badge?

here here

I'm doing a two-part wreck class in august/september, and yah, I couldn't possibly care less whether or not I get a card at the end of it.

S...can I go down to my LDS with my log book and $125 or so? :eyebrow:

You'd be willing to do that?

Hell, for 60 bucks I'll spend a half hour in illustrator and print you out a Wreck Specialty card.

You do a specialty course because you are interested in learning more about a specific discipline. Having the card does not, on its own, give you any benefits, except qualifying for PADI MSD so really your question is quite strange.
Have your instructor or shop explain to you what the course involves and see if there is value for you. If there is go for the course otherwise spend the money in a different way

It's not necessarily strange.

Maybe he needs the card for a specific dive he wants to do, but doesn't want to spend time learning something he already knows...

I know of a couple of operators running boats in Florida who both require a TDI Advanced Wreck card or equivalent before "allowing" divers to penetrate the local wrecks. Outside of that, I believe most sport divers take a wreck class for the knowledge and skillset it teaches rather than a need for the card... internal as opposed to external motivators.

That is ridiculous. You may have a very experienced diver not allowed on the wreck and someone who has done AOW and wreck specialty with 15 dives being allowed in.

That is ridiculous. You may have a very experienced diver not allowed on the wreck and someone who has done AOW and wreck specialty with 15 dives being allowed in.

To be fair, I don't think that is the same point - TDI Advanced Wreck is wreck penetration training - you don't get that on AOW, or any any course outside of the Tec sphere.

But I do agree card mania has taken over. Everyone should be free to choose their own road to hell, I say.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom