Wreck Penetration Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

denisegg

Indescribable!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am fascinated with wrecks and my favorite dives so far have been ship wrecks. I would like to know what all is involved in taking this a step further and taking a technical class on wreck diving. I am unsure whether I would be comfortable in an enclosed environment. How does it compare to cave and cavern diving? (I am not certified in these either) I am concerned about whether I would be a little claustrophobic. Even if you don't penetrate the wreck, would a class be beneficial in giving you additional training so that you would know more about wrecks, navigating around them, and exploring them from the outside?

Many wreck divers find themselves drawn to the insides of the shipwrecks they visit. As you've noted, in this enclosed environment things get different quickly. Many wreck divers choose to seek cave training (cavern & Intro to Cave at least) in order to learn navigation, anti-silting, and emergency techniques for use in overhead environments. While I'm sure that there are some formal "wreck penetration" courses out there, I think you'll find the cave training much more readily available.

I notice that you live in Southern Alabama, which means that the Gulf is not far from you. You should be able to find instruction relatively close to home and, more importantly IMO, you should be able to seek out a diver that is already doing the kind of diving you'd like to do and get some advice from them.

Brian

I just took a wreck workshop, which was an introduction to the basic ideas of wreck penetration. There was a good lecture to open the class, touching upon the things that make penetration different, including silting, percolation, lack of ambient light, and disorientation due to the position of the wreck. We talked about ways to find wrecks, managing shot lines, and then went into line techniques and protocols. We practiced dry runs of line-laying and lights-out line following.

We then did two days of diving (NOT in overheads) to practice what we had learned. It was fascinating and very challenging. I actually wrote a pretty long report of the class on SB.

The biggest thing we learned was how far we had to go before we could even CONSIDER trusting our lives to line we laid and expected to follow in an emergency.

It was a very fun class, and I put the material to use a scant week later, diving the outside of a wrecked barge locally. My buddy and I found the skills we'd gained made that dive a much more enjoyable and relaxed experience for both of us.

I'd say that, if you can find a workshop like the one I took, it helps your general diving AND gives you skills to make diving the outsides of wrecks easier and safer. But there is a lot to learn about running line, and you can get into a lot of trouble very quickly when you're starting.

You might consider taking a DIR-F class as a first step -- If you're considering overheads, you're going to need technical gear anyway, and DIR-F is a great introduction to the diving skills (non-silting kicks, back and helicopter kicks, air-sharing without losing buoyancy control, etc.) that you need for overhead environments. Even if you didn't pursue further training with GUE, it's a great place to start.

Denise, if you do not want to penetrate the wreck I have to say I think the technical courses available will be of limited value to you. Better perhaps to take courses in marine archeology to better understand the broader issues about the heritage on the sea bed.

I have recently started cave diving after 20 years of wreck and general diving. The training for that (caves) is certainly good in terms of overhead environment and zero viz, but caves are very different environments to wrecks. I would seek training in wrecks if that is where you want to be.

Claustrophobia has never been an issue for me in wrecks, but it is for the cave courses. A technical wreck course (as opposed to a lightweight course like PADI Wreck) will concentrate on reel work and making a safe exit together with use of the long hose in a confined space. If you are not yet at this stage in your diving (i.e. diving doubles and a long hose) I would suggest that learning this part of diving is the better start point (i.e IANTD Adv EAN)

A great many wrecks around the world offer nice easy, safe swim throughs and easy penetration of large spaces with multiple exit points in good daylight. Start there and find your own level.

DIR-F is a great course - I have no argument with that, but it does require that you buy into that idea. Its not about wrecks, but about putting right the bad habits most of us (me too) pick up in our early training.

Me, I would dive another 20-30 wrecks or so, try to get to do some really good ones, then think about whether you want to go inside and if so what that involves. Look out for a workshop in reel techniques. See if this is something you would like to try. After that (if you want to) sign up for a wreck course with a technical agency. Otherwise just stay outside or in the big easy swim throughs and enjoy.

The courses and instructors will still be there if you want more later!!

Chris

Great you are enjoying wreck diving....great activity within scuba diving! You might look at taking a basic PADI or other agency recreational Wreck class....will give you some basics in do's and don'ts...plus some basic tech.. You might consider as mentioned above taking a Cavern class for the skills of lines/silt/safety protocals. If you complete those and wish to persue further...TDI offers a good Advanced Wreck program which is a tech level course. Best wishes.

DIR-F is a great course - I have no argument with that, but it does require that you buy into that idea.

About ninety percent of what is taught in a DIR-F class would be taught in any cavern course. The basic technical equipment configuration is, I think, pretty widely accepted (although details vary) -- in other words, the BP/W/long hose configuration. Non-silting kicks are pretty standard for any overhead work, and air-sharing goes pretty much the same with a long hose no matter who teaches it (again, small details may vary). There may be a few things about ascent procedures which are different as taught by GUE, but this basic class is exactly that: Basic. There's no brainwashing involved.

My classmate, Rick Inman of this board, went on to do extensive technical training through (I believe) IANTD, and his instructor told him the best thing he could have done to ready himself for that training was DIR-F.

Sorry, but I wanted to refute the idea that you have to buy into anything particular wildly different to take Fundies. You DO have to buy into a technical equipment setup, but someone would pretty much have to do that to do overhead environment diving anyway.

I agree with TexDiveGuy about the recreational wreck class, it sounds like what you might be looking for... I took one through Joel Silverstien (SDI) a year ago. Four dives, one of which we surveyed the outside of the wreck, a dive where we laid line on the outside of the wreck, one of which where we followed a line through some of the daylight zone of the wreck and one dive where we shot a liftbag, and ascended the line. I think a recreational wreck class will give you a feeling for whether you want to do a technical wreck class, many of which I believe will require double tanks (haven't had a chance to do one of these yet, but would like to).

I took the PADI wreck class from an avid wreck diver/instructor. This class has much of the info needed to survey, assess wreck dangers and do LIGHT penetration. You needn't purchase thousands in gear to do light penetrations, but my instuctor was adamant about at least having a pony bottle for a secondary air source.

Rule of thirds, line work and emergency protocols are all covered. This was by far my favorite specialty. I have done many penetrations with this training and it has served me well.

I would ask around and find an instructor who is a wreck diving junkie to teach the calss. It just makes it more interesting. My instructor invites me to go wrecking with him so it's kinda self serving for both of us.

The PADI class I took teaches you many things you will need to do light penetration on a wreck. Here is the table of contents.

1 Appeal of wreck diving
2 wreck diving laws
3 wreck hazards- common and penetration
4 wreck diving technique
5 reaching wrecks
6 mapping wrecks
7 penetrations- equipment, technique, limits & emergencies.

If you really like penetrations, then go and start taking true technical courses.

chrisch:
Denise, if you do not want to penetrate the wreck I have to say I think the technical courses available will be of limited value to you.

chrisch...I have to respectfully say that you are way off course on the above statement. Technical courses are of great value whether you penetrate a wreck or not...whether you do cave diving or not. If you have some experience built up and a fair number of dives under your belt, technical courses are a great way to expand your knowledge base. Technical diving has nothing to do with wreck penetrations or cave penetrations. You can greatly benefit from technical diving courses even if you never go beyond recreational limits. You can still practice technical skills. These courses go more into detail about dive science and physiology. It deals alot with emergencies in deeper water. It goes into more detail about gases. You learn more about equipment and equipment configurations. You learn about offgasing alternatives. You can do a 100 foot dive and still use EAN50 to accelerate offgasing once you ascend above 72 ft. You can use EAN100 above 20 ft. The point is that you can learn alot and benefit greatly from technical diving courses whether you penetrate a wreck or not....

chrisch:
...as opposed to a lightweight course like PADI Wreck) will concentrate on reel work and making a safe exit together with use of the long hose in a confined space....

The PADI Wreck course I took concentrated on reel work. The PADI Wreck course I teach concentrates on reel work and long hose use, to include bubble checks and S-drills. We also shoot bags off the wreck and mid water...

BTW, Denise, I own a house in N. Florida (1/2 south of Dothan) that we visit at least 3 times a year. If you're interested in learning about wrecks and caves, or even getting an introduction to them, let me know. I teach wreck and cavern. You can either do an introductory dive or a full blown course. I do require nitrox and long hose set-up for the full blown courses. We'll be there in January.

Back
Top Bottom