Wreck diving without the long boat ride?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weaponeer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I have dove Outer Banks wrecks but aren't fond of the long boat ride to get to them. For instance, we took a boat out of Atlantic Beach to Papoose and Schurz, but didn't like the 2 hour ride. We live in southeast Virginia and can easily drive to Hatteras if that will make a difference in boating distance. I've checked wreck locations around the Outer Banks and think Hatteras would be a better choice. Can anyone confirm Hatteras as a good place to take shorter rides to descent wrecks at rec depths (120 fsw max), and also recommend an op and motel at Hatteras? We're planning a dive trip for early September and want to get it lined up now. We are AOW and have done wrecks at 115 fsw. Thanks for any input.

Even though JT runs 1 of the best ops out there, he is normally pretty booked up most of the year, which would only go to support his reputation.
Try Johnny & Amy at Outer Banks Diving they have a big & comfortable boat, do some of the closer in-shore stuff like the Dixie Arrow, Abrahms & British Splendor, all less than 2 hours out & less than 110fsw. Plus they usually have room for last minute walk ons.
I don't know about places to stay as I was in a rented beach house when I dove with them last October & when we dove with them in April this year we drove down dove & were back in Va. Beach by 7PM. left at 4 AM by the way.
But call I am sure they have some ins with a local hotel/motel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom