Wreck diving Lake Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeterVV

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am going to Madison, WI and Chicago in about three weeks and would like to do some wreck diving i Lake Michigan. Are there any charters that go out and rent equipment?
Any you would recomend?

Look at their schedule pages to see what is going on for the time frame you are looking at. Most of the operators here run their schedules by reservations made by the local dive shops. When you find a date/time that suits you call the shop that has that reservation and rent your gear from them. I don't know if it's possible to have the shop haul rental gear down the lake for you but it's worth asking so you don't need to make a trip out to the burbs where most shops reside. Also the southern end of the lake is where the shallower wrecks lie and viz can be hit or miss.

That would be my recomendation as well if you are in downtown Chicago Captain Jim runs a great operation! If you are somewhere north of the city there are some alternatives along with Jim's new boat coming on line very soon if not already in service. There are also some good ones up toward Milwaukee and Green Bay where the deeper clearer water is to be found.

I operate a boat out of Waukegan and I can rent most of the equipment you might need. The exception is exposure protection. You can, however, rent wet and dry suits from local shops.

Back
Top Bottom