Wreck diving and the USS Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ron63

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be working on my wreck speciality next weekend and as part of the course will be diving the USS Oriskany. I'm really excited. We'll be making three dives on the Oriskany and then two more on another wreck were we can penetrate. Anyone else dove the Oriskany yet? What can I expect?

Ron

I'm going for the 1st time in late Aug. There's some posts floating around here about it. Also look at rebreather world. Some good trip reports there.

Have fun.

I dove it a few weeks ago. Deck is at 135 so unless your doing tech dives the only thing you can penetrate is the tower. We only did a few swim thoughs and up a ladder or two.

You can go hear for some pictures.
http://purduepete007.spaces.msn.com/photos/

Hey Pete,
Good pics of the wreck. What other critters did you see other than the two legged variety? What were the water temps like?
Thinking of a making the pilgrimage to the Oriskany as well.
Fallcreek

MBT has pics and video on their website. Lots of baitfish, baracuda, AJs, and snapper on the wreck already from their video.

I'm hoping to be on her sometime in Aug.

ron63:
I'll be working on my wreck speciality next weekend and as part of the course will be diving the USS Oriskany. I'm really excited. We'll be making three dives on the Oriskany and then two more on another wreck were we can penetrate. Anyone else dove the Oriskany yet? What can I expect?

Ron

Hey, Ron,

Congrats on the going to the Oriskany. Last week alone I made 10+ dives on it, so I'll be able to help with the familiarization.

What to expect: Viz has been in the 100+ range. Temps at the 130 level are around mid seventies. On the upper portion of the island it's been getting close to 80 degrees. I've had guys dive with and without wetsuits. The fish have been coming in droves. Just last week two of the divers saw a loggerhead swimming around. There's a resident baracuda and a few AJs lurking around. And there's a school of Lane Snapper who have moved in.

Keep an eye on currrents. They can be strong out there.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Thanks.

Eric

There are quite a few small crabs, and some other smaller reef fish can be found. I found some what I believe to be Blue Chromis in one of the bridges, forget which deck though.

I've dove it 10 times total. Twice with Oriskany Divemaster above. Eric ROCKS!!! I've dove the Speigel, benwood, Duane, tons of Liberty Ships, etc. THis is by far the coolest dive I've done. You could dive this lady 25 times and still not get to see everything. Each time I've been it has been vastly different. Have a blast. You will love it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom