Wreck Dives in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruisekingkris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning a trip to Key Largo for a few days of diving. I will be a single diver looking to dive the wrecks (REC not TECH). How do the dive operators handle these dives? I'm accustomed to slinging a bailout bottle back home (Dive boat requirement up here) and normally being a solo diver. Just curious if this is practiced down there or is it follow the guide for a set time and then your out?

Every dive op here is a bit different on solo divers. Check with them before you commit. I believe Rainbow Reef allows solo divers, but please check with them first.

Not sure exactly when you're planning, but it's pretty busy down there :) Reservations are a great idea, and would give you the opportunity to confirm dive op policies

I'm planning a trip to Key Largo for a few days of diving. I will be a single diver looking to dive the wrecks (REC not TECH). How do the dive operators handle these dives? I'm accustomed to slinging a bailout bottle back home (Dive boat requirement up here) and normally being a solo diver. Just curious if this is practiced down there or is it follow the guide for a set time and then your out?
Solo cert?, that may make a difference too.

Edit: I'm not saying that I'm looking to solo dive. I just feel more secure with a slung bottle over a instabuddie.

Maybe I can try it a different way.

Can people chime in on their experiences with the wreck dives and the operators they used. Trying to get a feel what it's like being a single on different boats.

Rainbow, Islamorada Dive Center and Horizon Divers allow solo diving if you're certified and have a redundant gas source. The captain will likely talk to you to assess if he thinks you are competent, if he's not comfortable, he probably won't let you dive solo. None of these shops rent pony bottles. I fly with a 13 cubic foot bottle that I have the shop fill after I reinstall the valve. It's not much volume but will get a diver back the surface.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom