Wow - They found it!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those who only know Rick from the boards... I am very sorry for you. To know this guy is to understand how much finding his scooter means to everyone here. He is the most giving guy I know, and he has taught me more about myself than anyone I have met. I never gave up because of how much the scooter ment to Rick. Of course, there was a little selfish motivation also... the number of scooter dives I did went way down after the scooter dissappeard. Hopefully we can get back on our frequent schedule :wink:

I was very happy to help such a great friend.
i_now_pronounce_you_chuck_and_larry_adam_sandler_and_kevin_james__3_.jpg

Great positive story! Sometimes the negativity in some threads gets me a bit down about some people around here. This really helped!!

Looked up the Wolf Lodge Steak House. Found one in ID and one in Spokane, Which one are you going to?

BTW- Rick, loved the photo. You two make a cute couple :rofl3:

Great to hear that it was found Rick!

While I sure like to be the "hero" who found the scooter, it was pretty much Allen's persistence and quite a bit of dumb luck that really made it possible.

It was Allen's idea to go dive that wall, Allen threw us out of the boat at the right spot, and then told us pretty much exactly what to do. All Paul and I did was dump gas from our wings and run right into it.

I will say that I had an overwhelming and very strange feeling that we were actually going to find it. I kept dismissing it however, as it really is like finding a needle in a haystack. Our dive plan was 130 for 25 minutes. As I came over a ledge at about 110 I saw a large shelf coming into view. I was making slow passes from side to side with my light and suddenly I couldn't believe my eyes. I looked over to Paul to signal him but he had seen it too and took off like he was trying to outrun a shark.

After lots of muffled yelling and high fives we clipped off the scooter and finished out our dive. The rest of the dive was good but I can't remember much of it as I was trying to figure out how I could get the scooter out of the water with out Allen knowing.... err I mean I couldn't wait to see the look on Ricks face when we got it back to him.:kiss2:

We thought of posting a listing of a Mako Scooter for sale in the classifieds here and seeing how long it took Rick to notice it, but we decided to just bring it over to him. We cooked up a good story that we needed some tanks that he had and went over to his house. Funny thing was that as he was putting the tanks in the back of the truck he told us we shouldn't drive around with a scooter in the back of the truck cause it might get stolen. As he was moving it over his jaw hit the tailgate and then I saw one of the biggest grins I have seen.

I'll never forget the image of my light scanning that shelf and the strange shine of black plastic in the pitch black at 140' framing a huge Scubaboard sticker. I'll also never forget your smile as you realized whose scooter it was. I'm glad you have your scooter back Rick and I am glad I got to be a part of returning it to you.

Hunter

This scooter BTW has been reinforced to go to 200', and the motor rewound to SS specs, and will easily pull away from an X scooter.

I'll also never forget your smile as you realized whose scooter it was.

Paul snapped these pics at the moment I saw the scooter in the back of the truck.

scooter_found_01.jpg
scooter_found_02.jpg

This scooter BTW has been reinforced to go to 200', and the motor rewound to SS specs, and will easily pull away from an X scooter.

Paul snapped these pics at the moment I saw the scooter in the back of the truck.

scooter_found_01.jpg
scooter_found_02.jpg

Congrats to the boys!!!

Looks like you jumped right out of your shoes. :D

I think your boss may have helped in it being found. :wink: If you need a battery get a hold of me first. I'll tell you why later.

I'll bet Mrs. P is about as happy as you are.

Gary D.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom