Wow... Is this Common?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK folks, what retailer had sales go up this Christmas season? Amazon, that's who!

The other big retailer was Walmart ... No internet sales but always a goofy guy at the front door with a smile their face (though I have never shopped there).

Last edited:
Exact same...

Ok, well now I'm SURE he's insane. You REALLY need to find somewhere else to shop because that gear is worth about what you paid for it. An LDS may need to put prices up a little bit over internet prices but what he's asking for it is completely out of the ball-park.

There is literally nothing he could offer in terms of advice, expertise or support to justfy it.

And to then try to make YOU feel guilty about it .... sheesh..... that's just the icing on the cake.

You said before that you don't have any other choices.... why is that?

R..

emmaboo,

You mentioned "the exchange rate" in one of your posts. Are you from Canada? Sadly, it's rare to never that a Canadian LDS can match a US price. Regardless, the price differences seem way out of whack for most items.

With the exception of a few minor items, plus an over-priced OxyCheq wing because I thought I needed to build a relationship with an LDS in order to get my US bought regs serviced locally (turns out I take them to another shop anyway because their tech is better), I don't shop at LDSs for dive gear.

emmaboo,

You mentioned "the exchange rate" in one of your posts. Are you from Canada? Sadly, it's rare to never that a Canadian LDS can match a US price.

Rodger that.

emmaboo,

You mentioned "the exchange rate" in one of your posts. Are you from Canada? Sadly, it's rare to never that a Canadian LDS can match a US price. Regardless, the price differences seem way out of whack for most items.

With the exception of a few minor items, plus an over-priced OxyCheq wing because I thought I needed to build a relationship with an LDS in order to get my US bought regs serviced locally (turns out I take them to another shop anyway because their tech is better), I don't shop at LDSs for dive gear.

With all due respect.... the LDS owner in question could buy his gear from Leisurepro, mark it up by 50% and still sell it for 1/2 of what he's asking....

R..

With all due respect.... the LDS owner in question could buy his gear from Leisurepro, mark it up by 50% and still sell it for 1/2 of what he's asking....

R..
Well that's an interesting concept... does LP ever act as a wholesaler? What about the warranty issue though? I've never bought from LP but my understanding is that most, if not all, of LP's items have no official warranty; just LP's version. My thought would be most people shopping at an LDS would expect/assume an authorized warranty. Maybe not if the price is right... I don't know...

I think in practice the warranty thing really isn't a big deal. What a warranty usually says is that they'll either fix or replace things that need it. In the case of Leisurepro what I understand they do is just replace it....

BTW, most of the manufacturers also have a manufacturer's warranty on their gear for x number of years after it was manufactured. Sure you can go through your LDS for that but many manufacturers will deal with you directly on warranty issues too. Chances are pretty good that if you have a problem with a bit of gear that the manufacturer will fix it EVEN if you bought it from Leisurepro.

IN fact, I would think that the manufacturer may *prefer* you don't try to go through the LDS if you have something from leisurepro because they *know* very well how Leisurepro got that bit of gear (namely with their blessing, if not directly from their factory) and they'd probably like to keep the LDS out of the loop if it needs to be fixed. Avoids conflicts.

R..

I completely forgot about that... I bought this equipment when our dollar was at par with the US so there was no difference buying in us funds. But then again, the quote was no different when our dollar(cad) was at par either.

I'd like to continue taking specialty courses because the instructors are very good and I am comfortable with them it's just the owner who I've had this issue with. With all this advice I'm beginning to reconsider my decision but ultimately I'd like to become a better diver and I feel these are some of the best instructors. ... sheesh is right....

Back
Top Bottom