Wow... Is this Common?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yet another fascinating discussion from SB! Thanks.

I've been forced to read a number of "Diving Industry" articles the past few days and one of them was focused on this issue -- The Future is Now: Make the Web an Integrated Part of Your Business, published by PADI (!) in late 2006.

The relevant quotes are:
The internet is here to stay. You may not like it, but you do have to accept and adapt to it if you want to remain competitive.
Conversely, non-internet savvy retailers who struggle with this realization are badly misaligned with today's consumer buying habits and preferences. Today's consumer will continue to seek information, purchase opportunities and education online.

OK folks, what retailer had sales go up this Christmas season? Amazon, that's who!

Unless the LDS owner continues to be a jerk, I'd continue to deal with him -- ON MY TERMS. If he runs a good course there is no reason for your spouse to go elsewhere (and that's IF he runs a good course). You don't owe him anything. And if he has any business smarts at all (questionable in the industry however) he'll realize that the only way he can stay in business is to make sure the customer is treated fairly.

Scuba just seems to be a weird micro-universe.

Just curious I wonder if the LDS paradigm is caused not because the LDS doesn't want to have repeat business, but because they know so many divers get certified take one maybe two vacations and never dive again. So the hope of repeat business is low making it not the motivating factor in the service model.

He had insisted to give me some insight on the different products he carried which I gladly accepted but I really don't feel I took up his valuable time. I was already well informed about the products I was interested in so really I asked a couple questions regarding packages he could put together and I'm assuming this is where he felt betrayed. I was not expecting the same service when I went back I was just shocked he refused to deal with me at all.

Break down of $ from LDS(He said about) / What I paid

BC-$1100 / BC-$230.00
Reg-$825.00 / Reg-$199.00
Octo-$300.00 / Octo-$83.00
DC-$1100.00(2 display) / DC-$350.00(3 display)

Plus the online retailer threw in a reg bag plus took another $30.00 off for getting a package. Shipping to door $70.00. Taxes are another $106.00 on top of that so all in all it came up to about $1020.00. (This was when the exchange was good as well).

Wow, not only does his attitude suck but his prices are completely ridiculous.

R..

He had insisted to give me some insight on the different products he carried which I gladly accepted but I really don't feel I took up his valuable time. I was already well informed about the products I was interested in so really I asked a couple questions regarding packages he could put together and I'm assuming this is where he felt betrayed. I was not expecting the same service when I went back I was just shocked he refused to deal with me at all.

Break down of $ from LDS(He said about) / What I paid

BC-$1100 / BC-$230.00
Reg-$825.00 / Reg-$199.00
Octo-$300.00 / Octo-$83.00
DC-$1100.00(2 display) / DC-$350.00(3 display)

Plus the online retailer threw in a reg bag plus took another $30.00 off for getting a package. Shipping to door $70.00. Taxes are another $106.00 on top of that so all in all it came up to about $1020.00. (This was when the exchange was good as well).

Price differences do seem very high at first look..BUT are we comparing the exact same manufacturer/model? Compare apples to apples,not oranges to diamonds...Only to be fair you should have listed what exactly you were offered at the LDS -what manufacturer and what model vs. what you actually purchased on line..

Price differences do seem very high at first look..BUT are we comparing the exact same manufacturer/model? Compare apples to apples,not oranges to diamonds...Only to be fair you should have listed what exactly you were offered at the LDS -what manufacturer and what model vs. what you actually purchased on line..

We are comparing apples to apples. The only difference is that he offers a lifetime warranty (or however long you keep it) on the product with unlimited servicing.

I agree, on an apples to apples comparison this looks borderline impossible, Like looking at a Ferrari dealer and he quoted me $150k for a car and then going to a scion dealer and finding a car for $10k. They're both cars, but hardly comparable.

BC-$1100 / BC-$230.00
Show me an $1100 retail BC....except from the OP's LDS...:rofl3: Since the OP bought an octo, there wouldn't have been an inflator add-on. About the most expensive standard BCD/BP/W I've ever seen is the Dive-Rite and they're about $820. So the $300 looks like it's paying for the "free" lifetime service. Not to mention that it's $770 if Emmaboo is correct.

Emmaboo, I'd be looking for a new LDS. As yours obviously has his profit in mind over your interests.

And what difference should it make where the gear was purchased? If I move to your town and go to your LDS, does that mean I now have to throw away my $2500+ worth of gear and re-buy it from him so he'll service/support it? He should be glad for the incremental revenue, as well as the opportunity to sell you something else during the two visits you'll now be making to the store to drop/pickup your gear.

ex:
I bought a $500 Atomic B1 reg from an LDS across town several years ago. While taking it in for service at a nearby LDS, a shiny Atomic T2 caught my eye. When I picked up my B1, I also picked up the T2 - $1400 worth. Had they hassled me about where I bought the B1, they wouldn't have made that sale or had my business since then. Or that of my cousin - who took classes and bought all his gear through them at my recommendation - since he bought Oceanic, the price was the same as online. (which is another issue entirely...)

In this economy, it appears that some LDS's still don't get it. We'll call them closed. It's happened here twice this year. Others that do seem to be about as busy as expected given that a job/mortage payment are most people's priority now.

Last edited:
Emma, what brands and models were the things you were looking at. Let's end this apples and oranges thing before the thread gets derailed.

R..

I really wanted to steer clear of putting too much info in case a member from the LDS happens to notice this interesting story and put two and two together. I know I shouldn't be worried but ah what the heck....

I had purchased Genesis Equipment and the models are as follows:

BC: Genesis Sirene Women's BCD
REG: GS2000
OCTO:GS040
DC:Genesis "React Pro" Inline Console 3 gauge

Wow, that's the $490 List - $292 retail Genesis Sirene sold on Scuba.com. With a full Genesis warranty...

in case a member from the LDS happens to notice this interesting story and put two and two together
Let em, maybe they'll learn something.

Definitely look for a new LDS.

Back
Top Bottom