WOW big changes to PADI DM for July 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, any pro-level certification should be subject to external verification. PADI still neglect this.

For as long as any instructor can run a DM course without oversight and certify without verification, the system can be flouted and the qualification rendered meaningless.

The following workshops and assessments give candidates the training and experience they need in confined or open water to carry out their functions after certification. What has changed is that there is no longer an Option A and B (internship or roleplay). In the new workshops, candidates take turns leading, demonstrating and conducting, while other candidates act as participants (role-play).

In the practical assessments, though role-play is acceptable, candidates should work with real program participants as much as possible for all four assessments. Assessment 4 must be conducted with certified divers (the intent is to conduct a real Discover Local Diving experience, not to role-play with divemaster candidates acting as participants).

From the latest Training Bulletin

It seems PADI is actually promoting real students rather than actors.

I like most of the changes myself. However, as with most people I find it’s easier to point out dislikes than likes lol. But I’ll try and stay to the positive. I do like that padi is stressing professional development needs to be updated and improved on. Also like that instructor involvement will be enriched though practical role play. Taking the divers minimum dives from 20-40 will allow a stronger more experienced diver entering the Divemaster program. However, there is a negative to each of these as well. I personally would rather get someone that has a strong passion for diving fresh out of Rescue before a diver that had 40-60 dives for the simple reason they may not have any bad habits yet lol. As far as role play I think it can be a fantastic tool but to not have the option B stunts the growth of a Divemaster in training. I am sure between now and July of next year there will be a ton of changes and re workings to the Divemaster program but out of anything I’d like to see the minimum dives back to 20 OR make the course start at 40 and end at 80 or 100. This would make a smoother transition from either Rescue to DM OR DM to the Instructor level programs.

I have appreciate that my DM course instructor did not give us an option for A or B. We had to role play, adn then we had to sit through and DM an OW, Adv, Rescue, night, and deep courses. We also had to help conduct DSD's.
I now really appreciate that they did that. We were also DM'ing the rec boats all the time too.
It made a world of difference for truly rounding out my skills and experience.

I was a much better DM for all the work.
Our pole playing guinea pigs are now some DM's and my son and daughter. Of course, both have almost 200 dives and are Adv and Rescue certed respectively. But when They act out a problem- the DMC Really takes it seriously.

And then they go in the pool with a real class. They also Have to work the classes. I think it is vital. And I haven't had any Not want to.

IMHO, any pro-level certification should be subject to external verification. PADI still neglect this.

It's a BIG problem here. Large number of "divemasters" are divemasters due to being good friends with an instructor without actually having done the course properly as standards dictate.

It's a BIG problem here. Large number of "divemasters" are divemasters due to being good friends with an instructor without actually having done the course properly as standards dictate.
We have the same problem here, as well.
We also have instructors give OW certs to their pals and cousins......

Thats a problem too here but DMs are more of an issue as they might actually be in charge of real divers!

There is a reason there is a massive drop off at DM level and most of these "DMs" never become instructors. The simple reason is the IE is independently examined so your mates cant sign you up to that.

We have the same problem here, as well.
We also have instructors give OW certs to their pals and cousins......

Thats a problem too here but DMs are more of an issue as they might actually be in charge of real divers!

There is a reason there is a massive drop off at DM level and most of these "DMs" never become instructors. The simple reason is the IE is independently examined so your mates cant sign you up to that.

I had an interesting conversation with a SSI course Director about two years ago. Apparently SSI did not then require independent review of professional ratings all the way through instructor. He was lamenting the fact that they were going to change that, and he thought it was a bad move.

We had this conversation while on a boat headed out to a dive destination. He was the owner of the boat and operation, and he was on his way to finish the Instructor certification for a diver he had taken from OW through instructor. No professional had ever set eyes on this candidate other than him. He liked the idea that he could ignore the actual standards and do whatever he thought was right for that instructor candidate. He said that when he has someone in his instructor course, he asks that person what he intends to do with the certification, and then he targets the program at those intentions. In this case, the diver wanted to work in a tropical resort, so that was what he was training him to do, without bothering with the standards that were not necessary for that kind of work. He felt he was doing that instructor a real service that way.

I asked him if that did not mean that for SSI, every Course Director was in effect an independent agency in terms of instructor development, and he agreed it did. He liked that freedom.

Please note that I am reporting what he said and am not supporting that position.

I agree. The dm test is too easy to roll. I can see why they would never make the IE. But damn, they will do more than enough damage DMing boats and overseeing divers.

This is sad to me. I can see maybe cutting someone a break on the swim tests if you have seen them swim quite competently before or skipping the rescue 7 if they did the rescue course with you recently. Skipping any of the standards is inexcusable but I can see how those may be looked past if the instructor has witnessed the same thing first hand before the DM course.

My instructor was the same one I had for rescue and I had been on many dives with him while he had students in the water. He (almost too happily) made me do every single item required for the DM course. I even had to do a few of the skills over because his opinion is that a score of 3 is not adequate no matter what the standards say.

The more I read on SB, the more thankful I am that I have the instructors around that I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom