Would you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A wise friend and dive buddy said something very profound yesterday... He said... "The Good Ol' Days are NOW.." Enjoy them, so when you look back you don't leave any missed opportunities. Become a dive instructor is no easy task, but what do you have to lose at this point?

Sounds like you might be cash-limited. I know the feeling - lost $26K selling a house, living on just my own income now, etc. And unfortunately, I also have the photo bug, although I don't claim to be good at it. I say "unfortunately" because that can quickly become one of the more expensive aspects of diving. So, stick with a cheap camera for now and put the bulk of your money into at least one decent strobe. You'll be able to keep the strobe later when you upgrade cameras.

As for diving itself, you don't say where you're from, but anywhere you can shore dive keeps the costs low, and for other dives see what kind of local groups are available to get group discounts. Even though I live in Florida, I'm in the central part and all the good reefs are down south, so I find the larger expense is travel and lodging - try to minimize that however possible, so that every dollar you spend is on diving and not just having a bed for the night. Once you've got all your own gear (much of which you can get used and save $$$), these travel and boat fees will be your main costs; tanks fills are the cheapest aspect.

Oh, one more thing: ditch the dog and upgrade to a cat. Preferably indoor-outdoor with cat flaps. No litter box to worry about and a big pile of food and automatic waterer, cat's good on her own for a long weekend off diving; independent, self-cleaning, largely self-maintaining, and nowhere near as needy or fawning. Far superior to a girlfriend/spouse/live-in and only slightly more upkeep than a throw pillow. Then again, I'm a cat person and intensely dislike dogs, can you tell?

Cats are smarter than dogs as well. Mine sure are. They can get me to do most anything for them. And they don;t need to be walked, picked up after, or bathed. They do it themselves. They are smaller so easier to travel with. Although stay away from Chinese restaurants with it! IN your situation if there are no kids involved and no SO right now- Get the hell outta dodge kimosabe! I was almost there when my wife died earlier this year. Cash in the 401K, ship the gear someplace warm, and start all over. Now I have someone in my life that is just as supportive as Denise was, is a diver, is my friend, lover, and confidante. She has gotten me eating better, exercising, and working on my book on a regular basis. She completes me. Had she not come along though me and the cats would be figuring out a way to head way south. Like Caribbean south.

I think you should go for it.

Maybe getting a Captain's license to go along with your other diving credentials would open up other options. If you get in a pinch or are short on students, you could captain for a LDS in between.

Just a thought. And I'm done thinking for the day.

I had a great mentor who said "First figure out what you love to do, then figure out how to make money at it." Second, "Half of what you earn is what you learn, therefore if you aren't learning anything you are working for half pay." These lessons have served me well.

"First figure out what you love to do, then figure out how to make money at it."

Sage advice, but the only problem I have with it is that, for some of us anyway, I think one reason we like diving is because it is not tied to our source of income. It is an escape from the professional world of contracts and obligations, and I would actively resist tying my diving to revenues.

In other words, I want diving to remain recreational and not cross that line to become professional, with all of the corresponding responsibilities.

Honestly, if it interests you then no reason NOT to jump in! I have told many of my students and instructor candidates over the years that at the very LEAST being a scuba instructor can be a great "second job" for extra money.

When you run classes correctly, they can be a great deal of fun and you will meet a lot of people and create many relationships that can open many other doors for you as well.

If it is your full time, primary income source it can be a lot of work and require a lot of hours for a fairly small return, but it boils down to doing what you love. If you are happy, the bills are paid and there's food on the table, there really isn't a lot to complain about in terms of choices.

I left the "real world" in '93 to follow this path professionally and have to say I've enjoyed all the ups and down and twists and turns it's presented me with over the years.

Ditching the dog for a cat makes a lot of sense. Cats are good eatin, can be used as bumpers when boating and make excellent chocks when parking on a hill.
PM me for some recipes :)

Decisions like this for me have always boiled down to:

Do I want to someday be sorry that I did that? Or do I want to someday wonder what would have happened for me if I did do that?

Who was it that said, "Jump, and the net will appear?"

Back
Top Bottom