Would you recommend Cozumel to two young adults?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I edited previous post - thanks for pointing that out. I had meant (thought it was obvious) before going underwater.

Cool and even I knew what you meant... didn't want new/future divers to get that impression although it'll be discussed thoroughly during training.

Are there enough, different location, dives in the Cozumel area to justify 10 - 16 dives in five days?

Cozumel? Absolutely! If you meant to say PDC, than it's all about what you're into. Being a new diver, they could probably go to the same site all week and not realize it that is why I think it's good to start out. I know seasoned divers that go year after year and never tire. Nevertheless, being new divers, 10 dives would be way beyond their expectations plus their schedule isn't going to allow them to even dive 5 days so yes, it'll be more than enough for them.

Easily, but they are going to Playa del Carmen.

Party night life winning over diving...:D I have a feeling they're either gonna love the ferry, or love Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) or Meclizine pills.

Best taken 2 hours ahead, btw...http://www.curingseasickness.com/seasick1.htm

Most people from Quebec / Ontario have taken ferries before, but few experience the rocking of the big ferries on open ocean - unless you go from (Quebec) Rimouski to Tadoussac, which is a similar trip from Playa -> Coz.

Walter...must of seen you around town. They film Breaking Bad all over the place here in Albuquerque.

FrancisK - would love a trip report on your return. Happy, safe diving! You may want to get a presrip for Cipro before your eating/beverage adventures. It would be awful to come down with Motezumas revenge on the first day and "blow" your trip.
Taking antibiotics as a preventative is dangerous and unnecessary. I've eaten dozens of meals on a dozen trips with no problems. Just avoid street food.
Party night life winning over diving...:D I have a feeling they're either gonna love the ferry, or love Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) or Meclizine pills.

Best taken 2 hours ahead, btw...Curing Seasickness, Medications, Tactics

Most people from Quebec / Ontario have taken ferries before, but few experience the rocking of the big ferries on open ocean - unless you go from (Quebec) Rimouski to Tadoussac, which is a similar trip from Playa -> Coz.
Antihistamines to prevent motion sickness are more appropriate for dive boats I think. The ferries are nice and generally smooth. I sleep on the crossings tho - boring.

Taking antibiotics as a preventative is dangerous and unnecessary. I've eaten dozens of meals on a dozen trips with no problems. Just avoid street food.

Agree! If one is concerned a regiment of acidophilus or yogurt with live yeast cultures the week before will really help. Also avoiding eating the skin or external part of raw fruits and vegetables. All to often, the "revenge" is more associated with spending to much time at the bar, in the sun and not drinking enough water and staying well hydrated.

I don't think octo was advocating I take them, simply that I have some on hand should something occur. I was actually gonna ask my MD friend to prescribe some other Rx for backup. Being an ex medstudent has its benefits. You should NEVER take antibiotics as preventive measure. Not ever.

As for drinking, I lived in Germany for three years: they are EXPERT drinkers and know all the tips and tricks on avoiding headaches and hangovers. I had never been sick before Germany, but after, never have had a single headache due to heavy drinking. The trick is to drink water at the same time you drink alcohol... 1 sip of your long island iced tea or whatever, 2 sips of water. There really isn't any magic to it... alcohol is a diuretic, so you need to keep hydrated. Plus, the more water you provide your kidneys, the better they can bind the ethanol for you to expulse it. Science my friends, it's all science :D

So you're probably ok with your Tetanus and Hep-A vaccinations. I don't do any yogurt nor take any meds with me other than some of the ones I keep at home in Texas. The most common travel risks are the same as if you went to the Florida Keys..

Learn how to equalize your ears for descent, early and often. My home bud practices for a week before any trip as he has problems at 15 ft, and it's good to do so on the boat before the dive too. A great video for any scuba student at Doc's Diving Medicine Home Page

Treat your ears after diving with a mix of equal parts alcohol, white vinegar and water, or I use half 50% alcohol, half vinegar in a dropper. The Navy says 3 minute soak on one side, then roll over and repeat. I just flush after every dive & shower of a dive trip.

Hydrocortisone cream or ointment in case I brush up against a hydroid. Long suits are best for protection; shorties for jet skiers.

Wash you hands often. :eyebrow:

Ah, my Edit was in the wrong place. Oops. :silly: Ok well, see the next post anyway...

Last edited:
I would highly recommend Cozumel, my son did a trip with me, partied like a rock star,
safely made all the afternoon dives, and had a blast.

The better dives (generally) are on the south end of Cozumel (away from town) and it is great beginner or advanced dive trip. I have not been to Roatan yet, but here great stuff about down there as well. Put Bonaire on your list (after you've made a trip or two) also way awesome. then there's the Pacific....

Back
Top Bottom