Would you or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikiko

Reaction score
I still have a few Questions about drysuits...

P- valve : Would you put one in?

Convenience Zipper (pee zipper) :Or just one of these?

Pockets : Would you put one, two or none?

HD BDM zipper : Would you upgrade or not?

Kevlar or Rubber Kneepads : Witch one would you do?

I really need your help, this is my first drysuit and I would like to do it right the first time. Alot of you sound like you have used them before.
Thanks

:confused:

P-valve- yes, Halcyon unbalanced
Relief zip- no
Pockets- 2 bellows, one on each thigh, DUI or Halcyon brand
HD zip- probably yes but depends on extra cost
Pads- kevlar if not too much extra, rubber if too much

WW

I agree with WW on everything except the p-valve. Dive-Rite or OMS balanced. IMO the Halcyon valve is marginal to say the least.

MD

Mikiko wrote...
P- valve : Would you put one in?
I'm repeating myself, but most definitely!

Mikiko wrote...
Convenience Zipper (pee zipper) :Or just one of these?
I wouldn't bother.

Mikiko wrote...
Pockets : Would you put one, two or none?
I have one bellows and one flat. I'd probably go with two bellows with velcro closures if I had to do it again.

Mikiko wrote...
Kevlar or Rubber Kneepads : Witch one would you do?
Kevlar sounds better.

P- valve : Absolutely... Halcyon balance.

Convenience Zipper (pee zipper) : No

Pockets : Two DUI bellows

HD BDM zipper : No

Kevlar or Rubber Kneepads : Neither... you don't need kneepads... you need buoyancy control.

metridium once bubbled...
Why is that?

I looked at valves for awhile before I got mine, and was totally unimpressed with the Halcyon. Its cheaply made, IMO, and involves screwing around with bolts or screws, or something. I also have two buddies who had them, and they have since changed to the DR or OMS.

Granted, the DR & OMS are expensive, but very well made, easy to clean, and will last forever. In addition, you need "do nothing" to use them, just go. They don't leak, even if not hooked up.

MD

MechDiver once bubbled...
Its cheaply made, IMO, and involves screwing around with bolts or screws, or something.
~~~snip~~~
In addition, you need "do nothing" to use them, just go. They don't leak, even if not hooked up.
The Halcyon certainly isn't as expensive as the DR/OMS but it isn't what I would call cheap... and not cheaply made at all... I have one in each of my drysuits.

You do not need to have the pee through bolt in place to use the balance version even if it is not hooked up as the check valve protects the suit from floods... however in mission critical dives you do have the option of using the bolt... and should the cath and the check valve fail the bolt can be screwed in to protect from a flood... something you cannot do with the DR/OMS... if you have a failure with them you flood!

MechDiver wrote...
In addition, you need "do nothing" to use them, just go. They don't leak, even if not hooked up.
Ditto for my Halcyon balanced. I keep the bolt in a pocket, though I'm rethinking that on expert advice.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

The Halcyon certainly isn't as expensive as the DR/OMS but it isn't what I would call cheap... and not cheaply made at all... I have one in each of my drysuits.

You do not need to have the pee through bolt in place to use the balance version even if it is not hooked up as the check valve protects the suit from floods... however in mission critical dives you do have the option of using the bolt... and should the cath and the check valve fail the bolt can be screwed in to protect from a flood... something you cannot do with the DR/OMS... if you have a failure with them you flood!

Guess we're going to disagree on quality level :D

Your second point is well taken, but to have 3 things fail at the same time is remote. The DR/OMS also have a flap valve outside. That, the check valve and the cath would all have to fail. Cave or serious wreck, maybe. Not going there though...

MD

Back
Top Bottom