Would you lend, or accept, a hand when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are all going to need help at some point in our diving history. It is up to each of us to decide whether we are going to let a disability or inability to do things as well as we did in the past get in the way of a wonderful opportunity to dive. Because of multiple joint replacements, some of which act up on occasion, I sometimes need a crew member to haul my tank/bpw out of the water. I always ask ahead of time whether or not that will be a problem, and always tip well. No one has ever declined to help, not knowing whether I was a generous tipper or not. When paired with a buddy, I always let the buddy know of any potential issues, and the buddy can decide if the pairing is OK. In reality, I have found that when in the water, my buddy is far more likely to need my assistance than me needing help. I take pride in knowing I am a buddy you can count on in times of trouble.

My bum knees were diagnosed last week as having moderate to severe osteoarthritis in both. If someone wants to help shlep my tanks or pull them out of the water, throw them in my cart at water line, and roll them up the slope, I’ll always accept. Sometimes I ask. Depends on how I’m feeling.

The “if you can’t do it yourself, you shouldn’t be diving” attitude will probably go the way of the dodo with the boomers getting ancient and bodies giving out. They’ll either accept help or stop diving.
I’ll carry your tanks to and from the car to the boat, but it has to be saltwater. Lol

I'll always lend a hand, and if I need help I'd ask for it. I would, of course, evaluate whether my need for help meant I was unsafe to be diving or an undue burden on others - hopefully I'm many years from that point.

We have a one legged cave diver here - @Manatee Diver. I’ve cave dived with him a couple times in FL. He’s just fine in and out of the water. Hauls his own gear, but only doing one dive as one trip on the steps is enough. I agree.

I was the diver he is talking back, that was in 2020 before I got my waterleg.

I have gone out of my way to help someone out off... and into the drink! Np.

I’ve seen similar posts and these all make me believe that many divers in the US are kind of jerks. I’m an American but have never dived there and I just wonder about the dive culture back home.

I didn’t read every reply but the ones I did read were positive which is awesome but it’s sad that someone would even ask and makes me wonder if younger divers in the US are jerks. I can’t imagine an older diver here in Colombia asking that. All the DCs I have dived here with are incredibly nice and wouldn’t think twice about helping out and would also not tolerate a rude diver. It’s just a non issue here where despite all its problems there’s a lot of respect for older people.

Me personally, I’m happy to lend a hand and seeing older divers gives me hope that I have a good amount of diving years ahead of me.

As for being on the receiving end, I have really tight muscles and incredibly stiff including around the shoulders . I can slip into my BCD by myself but if anyone sees me struggling a bit and helps I’m cool with that too.

It’s also common here to take off your gear and handing it to the captain before climbing on board. With most ladders I might prefer to just climb up with my gear still on me (sans fins) but I’ll do it the way the crew tells me to. I only mention this because I’ve seen comments on other sites and threads where people make a big deal out of helping a diver who can’t climb aboard with their gear.

@Jafo19D my original post is asking “what level you’d feel SAFE helping another”, not about willingness to help. I have always received great support and as much assistance as I have ever asked for everywhere in USA, so I’d say we have a great culture too. Most people feel strong/safe enough to lend a hand, (happy-diver excepted) although what level of help should be discussed in a dive plan beforehand.

I've carried the bc/tank/weights of a stranger in from the surf, and been told to piss off (in a friendly manner), but I will always offer assistance to a fellow diver. Both of us will ask for help if needed, but wouldn't likely attempt a dive where it was needed as part of the plan.

We’re talking here about help with hauling gear or getting in/out of the water, but I’ve seen divers get really bent out of shape when someone asked for help starting a drysuit zipper. “They have to do it themselves!”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom